Chapter 43 - Competition part 1

My heart pounds as we walk through the double doors of the convention center in Raleigh. Madison squeezes my shoulder and I tun back to give her a quick smile.

"We are gonna do great." She reassures me. I always get nervous before competitions but Kayla's "last minute decisions" have made my stomach churn.

We arrive at a desk where a woman with a clipboard shows us towards our practice room. Number 23. We follow her directions and arrive in a huge hall with mats laid out for practice. Teams are already gathering and many gives us dirty looks as we walk in. they know we are competition.

"Look who it is." One girl says and I throw her a glance to annoy her. We need to do everything we can to freak out the competition.

"Everyone." Kayla grabs our attention and tells us to get our practice stuff on ready for the announcements happening in five or so minutes. Every team is going to gather in the main stage to get a talk and performance times.

I pull off my sweats to reveal my practice stuff underneath. I grab my practice bow off my bag and attach it to my high ponytail. I do the same for Madison who is struggling then we head off with the rest of the team to  the stage. We sit in the front row of seats and chat whilst everyone else files in. Finally, a woman gets on the stage with a microphone.

"Hi everyone!" She yells and we clap for her. "We have a long day  ahead of us. Today is going to decide who goes on to the next competition in a month. Almost two thirds of the teams today will be cut and the remainder will stay on so, as I'm sure you can tell, it is very hard. I'm going to read out each performance time now so keep listening." She goes through each team alphabetically and when she gets to us we are given a slot at six.

"So we can perform then go get some dinner?" We agree then head back to the practice room. Kayla hands out uniforms and bows for the performance and she talks through the routine with us so we are prepared.

We run the routine at least ten times and, by lunchtime, we are dead. Kayla gives us two hours to go and get food then orders us back here for two thirty. Madison and I go together to find a restaurant. After walking for five minutes we spot a Mc. Donalds close by. We order a couple of burgers and fries then sit down in a window seat chatting.

"So what's the goss then?"

"Not much really." I sigh.

"C'mon, is there a boy I should know about?" She asks and then I think about telling her about Hayes."

"Well, you know Hayes? He kinda told me he loved me and then we kissed."

"Oh my goddddd." She screams and I shush her briskly.

"It's not like that. And I can't do anything because of... the accident." I say and feel tears prick in my eyes.

"Soph, please don't cry." Madison says and leans over her burger and fries to give me a hug. I cry a little then calm down again.

"I'm sorry. I need to get my self together before the competition."

...

The clock has just struck ten to six and the team and I are running through the corridors of the conventions center for our first performance. I tug at my skirt and poof my ponytail as I run. We all have to look on point for this first performance. My parents, Kaitlyn and Alyssa are all coming to watch me so we cannot do badly.

"There's the door." Someone shouts and we run through it to the back of the stage. A woman shushes us and leads us to the waiting area The team before us is about to go on and they look amazing. I feel intimidated just watching them. Their team is announced and they jog out on to the blue mat. The crowd goes mental and we all look at each other worriedly.

"Girls, huddle up." Kayla whispers and we make a circle. "Go out there, give it your all and make me proud." We hold hands and have a moment of silence before we go out. Whilst the others pray that we do good enough to make it through, I make a quick prayer for Hayes and hope he is out of the hospital when I get back.

"Let's do this."

The other team comes off the mat almost in tears. They must have had a bad performance. This relieves me slightly. Our team is called and we run out on to the mat. Madison and I take to center stage and hold hands ready for the start. I draw a few quick breaths then bow my head. The music blasts in and immediately I am in the zone again. The routine is running smoothly and then we get to the stunts. I feel my heart beat speed up and I put my foot in my groups hands. I jump off the floor on the count and the last think thing I think of before I am up is Hayes.