Chapter 20 - Boyfriend, girlfriend

We walk back into class nearly ten minutes late and everyone is looking at us funny. Kaitlyn and Alyssa are doing the wink face, Noah and Kyle are doing thumbs up to Tanner and a bunch of girls I don't even talk to are glaring at me. I'm guessing they are Tanner's little fan club. One girl, Marissa Devine, marches up to me after class and tries to threaten me.

“He is mine, beyotch. And don't forget.” She sneers and I raise a brow.

“Ooh gurl, you need to get your facts straight.” I say sassily and flip my hair, before walking away. I join the others by the lockers so I can catch a lift with one of them, seeing as Molly will probably ditch me again. Kaitlyn offers me a lift with her and Alyssa.

“No Kaitlyn, it's too far out of your way.” I say. Her mom would have to drive all the way down the other end of the road school is on then drive all the way back, when her and Alyssa live two doors down from each other.

“Hey you can catch a lift with Megan and me, if you want?” Hayes appears beside me with Megan clinging on to his arm. I debate whether I should just catch a bus or beg Molly to give me a lift -  on second thoughts, hell no - but then I find Megan dragging me towards Nash's truck and pulling me into the seat beside her. Nash is sitting in the drivers seat and, as I thought, is glaring me. I stick out my tongue and roll my eyes. Why is he being such a dickhead?

“Nash, drop Sophie home.” Hayes orders.

“What's the magic word?”

“Please.” It's Hayes who rolls his eyes this time.

“I meant her.” Nash growls.

“Please?” I say in confusion. He nods and slams his foot on the excellerate, almost knocking over two freshmen. They scream in fright and drop their backpacks on the tarmac.

“Move!” Nash yells out of the window.

“He is in a mood.” I whisper in Hayes' ear, making him laugh.

“You know Nash Sophie. This is him normal.”

“I don't want to see him angry then.” I laugh.

Mom hurls my cheer bag at me as soon as I walk through the front door.

“Hey what's the rush?”

“Get ready!” She yells as Molly rushes past me, her sports bra hanging off her shoulder and her shirt she wore to school still on. I run up the stairs behind her and quickly change into my cheer stuff then slide back down the banister with my backpack on my back. I tug on a pair of Ugg boots then we all run out the door.

Mom speeds past all the red lights, almost getting us killed several times. I grip on to the seat in front of me and pray that we don't die.

“Why are we rushing?” I complain, starting to feel sick from hurtling round all the ninety degree turns.

“I have to cook dinner, we have guests later.” Mom says briskly.

“Who?” Molly asks but I already know who.

“The Griers.” Mom and I say in unison.

“How did you know?”

“Lucky guess.” I shrug.

“But I am gonna be all sweaty and grossssss.” Molly says. Mom tells her to stop complaining and she huffs as we pull up outside the gym.

“Out, quick my chicken might burn.” She yells and we scoot.                                                                                       

“She cares more about the freakin' chicken then her own daughters.” I say as we stroll in the building. It is freezing and the air con is on even though it is the start of October.

“Why is it so cold.” I say as we walk into the gym.

“The air con is broken.” Kayla tells us whilst we put on our shoes ready to condition. Madison runs over to me and we do our little handshake.

“Right everyone sit. I need to talk to you about the day in a week or so where we will show off the routine for all your parents.” Kayla tells us all about the day or 'show offs' as we named it. She pulls over two big cardboard boxes yanks out our new uniforms. They are cute black and silver numbers with tiny little gems on the sleeves. We gasp in awe at them; they are the nicest uniforms we have had in a long time. She also gives us bows to put in our hair, with our names on. We warm-up, condition then change into them to get used to them instead of our boring practise wear.

“5, 6, 7, 8!” Kayla shouts over the music booming through the speakers. We perform the routine full out, until our limbs hurt from tumbling and throwing the flyers in the air. I flop down on the mat at the end of the routine and gulp my water. I chat with the other girls.

“Hey I heard you were having a private stunting lessons with Kayla.” One of the girls says to me.

“Yeah, she said she wanted to ease me back into my stunting, y'know after the accident.”

“Oh cool.” She replies. She is one of the flyers but not the best one so she is obviously seeing if I am competition or not.

My phone starts to ring and Kayla throws me a dirty look across the gym. I pick up my phone and see Tanner is trying to facetime me. I quickly answer and see his smiling face pop up on the screen.

“Hey girlfriend.”

“Hey boyfriend.” I smile at how saying that sounds. He grins as well.

“Where are you.” He looks curiosuly at the trophies and banners on the wall behind me.

“Cheer. Hey I need to go practise.”

“Alright then. I'll call you in a bit.” He blows me a kiss and bites his lip. Just as I hang up he opens his mouth to say something but i just miss it.