Chapter 49 - Almost there

The day drags on until, finally, I am let out. Kaitlyn and Alyssa have given me space but they come up to me to see what is wrong.

"Sophie, something is wrong so tell us." Kaitlyn orders. I sigh and they motion to hurry.

"I'm worried abut Hayes. I heard the doctor say he could have woken up in a week but it been longer." I sigh. Kaitlyn and Alyssa smiles sympathetically and I excuse myself to go and find Molly.

I find her standing by her locker with her friends so I run over and tug her arm like a little kid.

"Can you drive me somewhere please?" I beg. She rolls her eyes and waves her friedsn away to talk to me.

"Sophie, I am going out with my friends. I know you are upset but can't you just walk or get a lift from someone else?" She says. I roll my eyes but, instead of causing a scene, I head out the door.

I follow a group of kids along the path towards home but turn at the intersection towards the hospital instead of towards home. Picking up the pace, I breeze along the sidewalk. I need to see Hayes. Even for a minute.

...

The ride up in the elevator to Hayes' floor is the longest I have ever experienced. I practically run along the quiet ward, barely escaping the harsh glances of the nurses. The door to his room is open and I slip into find an empty room. He is gone. My eyes widen and I fall on to one of the chairs. I feel my eyes well with tears and I burst into tears. I can't possibly believe that he... died. It cannot be true. I stand up and see all his stuff I still scattered around the room. I see his phone and a spare shirt. There is a set of papers with hospital details on which I leave on the side.

I hear footsteps coming down the halls and a shadow blocks the light. I whip around and see a petite nurse with a clipboard.

"Oh. Are you here for Mr Grier." She asks.

"Yeah... where is he?" I wipe my eyes.

"He in surgery. For his arm." She says and I gaspw ith relief.

"When is he out?"

"Soon. But I regret to inform you that you can't visit right now. His family asked for no visitors today. They need space right now." She tells me and I nod. I completely understand.

As I follow he out of the room, she updates me on Hayes' condition.

"he is starting to come round now. He should be awake in the next few days." When she says this my heart flips. I can finally see him. But then my heat stops. What will become of us? Will he really want to be with me? Will all he said be true? I start having a panic to mysef but the nurse has stopped me outside her office and Elizabeth runs out.

"Sophie?" She asks and I nod.

"I ust came to visit. How are you?"

"Fine, thank you." She sighs and I don't know what to say. The nurse give her a update and she sighs again.

"Thank you. Sophie, I want you to know, Hayes might be a bit... different when he wakes up. It a big but however we have to take precautions." She informs me and I nod. I know it is my time to leave so I wave goodbye to the nurse and her then stride out of the hospital feeling slightly better.

...

Several days later, after nearly a week of not speaking to my parents, an update comes through about Hayes.

"Sophie!" Mom yells. I run downstairs and mom has her hpone extended towards me.

Hayes is recovering from surgery and is waking up. Hopefully he will be back up and about in a few days!

I gasp in delight and mom pulls me into a hug. I hug her tightly and burst into tears.

"What's wrong?"

"I'm sorry for being a nightmare mom." I wail and she laughs.

"Thank you for apologising Sophie." She laughs again and I wipe my tears with a giggle.

"Can we go and see Hayes when he wakes up?" I ask and she nods, a hand on my shoulder.

____________________________________________________________________________________

Sorry for the lack of updates everyone. I have had three assessments this week, all of which count towards my GCSE's so i have been very busy. I'll be back updating but i apologise for the lack of inspiration on this chapter and the long wait! 

Thank you for reading!

kikkicat