Chapter 11 - 2,4,6,8

“Alyssa hurry up.” I yell the next day. We are about to head to cheer tryouts but she can't find her sports kit.

“I'm coming!” She yells, slamming her locker door and running down the hallway towards us. We run to the gym, get changed, then hurry to the footbal field where Miss Walker is waiting.

“There you are girls!” She smiles. She has us, and the others girls waiting to try out, stand in a formation. We run through a few cheers and she walks round listening to us. Then we put up a few simple stunts then do some jumps. Easy. Miss then has me, Alyssa and Kaitlyn tumble across the grass, the others tumbling behind us.

I suddenly see that, behind us, the football tryouts are going on. Kyle, Noah, and the others run out on to the field but no Hayes. I turn back to the tryouts and see Miss is starting to teach part of the dance from last year. I mark it through in my head, whilst wondering, why isn't Hayes trying out? As I am bending over for part of the dance, Alyssa gets my attention and I turn and see Hayes, who has suddenly appeared, looking at my butt.

“Looking good!” He mouths and I roll my eyes. I scowl at him then stand straight.

We finally finish tryouts, being told we have secured a place on the team, and we walk back to the locker rooms.

“I am going to kill Hayes.” I am seething as I look round the boys locker rooms for him. I spot him changing with Noah and Kyle so I walk in, right up to him.

“Uh, you're keen Sophie!” He jokes, Noah and Kyle laughing at him.

“You know what Hayes. If you like me, you should have taken the chance instead of leaving me hanging like that. I thought we were best friends, but you have ruined all that Hayes.” I am screaming nasty words at him now. “Don't ever speak to me again.” I yell, tears streaming from my eyes. I throw my hand out, trying to hit him but someone grabs me and drags me out of the locker room, towards the principles office.

“Get in now.” Mrs Johns, the principle, yells at me. I crash on one of the chairs in her office and put my head in my hands.

“Sophie. I thought this year would be a chance for you to change. Get away from all the violence.”

“Miss, he is just... just messing with me.”

“Well that isn't a good excuse. Now, I am going to speak with your parents but first I would like you to know, myself and the other staff believe it would be best if you could take a couple of days off school. Just to, y'know, start over, think about what you have done and how to make a change.”

“So I am being excluded? Miss it wasn't my fault...”

“We will speak to Hayes, Sophie. But I need you to promise you will try to make a change to your attitude. Just go out, go swimming, do something to calm you down.”

“Fine. But I am not speaking or apologising to Hayes.” I state then storm out of her office.

“Sophie.” Alyssa yells, running down the hall to me.

“What?” I say bluntly.

“What she Miss say?”

“I'm getting two days off from school to 'think about what I have done'.” I say and she rolls her eyes.

“Just ignore Hayes, Soph. He isn't worth it. I thought he was better then this but obviously not.” She says and I give her an appreciative hug.

We get to afternoon homeroom a little after the bell but Miss Panero is already sitting at her desk.

“Girls you are late. Sophie, I would expect, but Alyssa, this isn't you.”

“Don't worry Miss. I'm not going to be here tomorrow so you don't need to worry.” I say, not even bothering to be polite, then sit at my desk. I see Hayes' head turned to me out of the corner of my eye. When we have some free time to talk whilt Miss does some admin work, Hayes tries to get my attention.

“Sophie? Sophie, please talk to me.” But, just like Alyssa told me to, I ignore him.

I wake up the next day, happy knowing that I have a couple of days off. Mom is angry at me - because I told her I would change - but Dad makes me pancakes 'so I don't feel too upset'. I lounge around the house, watching tv and eating junk food. I don't even think about Hayes or what Miss Johns told me to think about.

All through the day I receive messages from Kaitlyn and Alyssa, updating me about school life. 'Noah kissed me today', 'I got an A in Biology' and 'Hayes sat with us at lunch' from Kaitlyn, 'I stroked a dog', 'Kyle talked to me', and 'I ate a burger for my lunch today' from Alyssa. Then I get one that worries me, 'Omg we need to tell you something...'