Chapter 3 - Surprise

“Sophie put some nice clothes on. No sweatpants!” Mom calls up the stairs. I huff and roll out of my bed, away from netflix. I go to my closet and pull out some nice pants and a white top. I do my hair again because, looking at it now, I look a bit hoboish. Seeing a big zit on my cheek, I decide to redo my makeup as well. It is actually quite relaxing.

I go downstairs and see mum has laid out the dining table for nine people.

“Mom what is going on?” I say but she ignores me again.

“You look nice sweetie.” She says and I go back upstairs. What a waste of time.

DING DONG! The bell rings for some unapparent reason and I peek from behind my curtains to see who it is. All I see is a mans back, turned towards a very familiar car. He seems to be calling at the car. I sprint down the stairs to see who it is. When I reach the hall I spot Elizabeth and Skylynn Grier, talking to mom.

“Sophie darlin'! How are you?” She asks. I see Elizabeth all the time so I am not surprised they are round.

“I'm good And how are you Sky?” I ask, happy to see her again.

“I got... two hundred horseys for a present.” She tells me. I see Mr Grier at the door. Beside him is a face I have longed to see.

“NASH!” I shout and I run to him.

“Hey chicklet. How you been?” He laughs and I squeeze him. Then, over his shoulder, I spot him standing on the garden path. I pull away from Nash who laughs at me as I jump off the porch and dash to him.

“Hayes!” I shout and his face lights up when he sees me.

“Soph!” He yells and runs in my direction. I lunge at him and he picks me up, spinning me in circles.

“I missed you so much Hay-Hay.” I say, using his nickname I made for him.

“I missed you too Soph!” He says into my hair. I feel the tears prick in my eyes and when he puts me down I stare into his.

“Don't cry.” He says and wipes my eyes.

“I'm not.” I say crossly but I laugh, not taking myself seriously.

“We will leave you two then.” Nash says and strides in with Mr Grier. I look back at Hayes then grab his hand.

“Come on.” I grin and we go round the side of the house and into the garden. We go to the swing set at the end and sit side by side.

“ How was the tour?” I ask and his grins.