Chapter 15 - Realisation

When I see Hayes in the hallway on Monday, he pulls me aside to tell me something.

“Megan doesn't have twitter. Leave it to me to sort everything else out.” He pulls out his phone, opens twitter and writes a tweet.

“Just to let everyone know @_xsophiex_ isn't my girlfriend. I am already taken by someone else...” he reads out loud then looks at me as if for my approval. I nod and he presses send.

Straight from school Molly drives us to the cheer gym as mom has booked a private for us two before practise begins.

“Right Sophie. You have flown before right?”

“A couple of times...” I say this shakily, knowing she wants to put me up in a stunt.

“So, I know you are a bit unsure about being a flyer but I want you to try a couple of simple stunts to see if we can work you into proper ones for a competition.”

“But we have enough flyers?”

“Yes, but say one get hurt? We need a second to fill in in case.”

“Okay I guess so...”

With Molly basing and two of my team mates Kayla asked to assist, I slowly learn to fly. I used to fly on a level three team, so I remember the technique, but that was before the accident. I was in the air, pulling a scorpion when one of my bases lost hold of my foot and I fell to the ground. I wasn't hurt badly but since then I have always been terrified of heights. Knowing I have to risk that again is making me anxious.

“Right one more time. Try your scorpion now.” Kayla instructs me so I go up in the air. I take a few breaths, trying to hold my wobbly foot still then prepare for my scorpion. Suddenly I get a flash back of the accident and my heart beat increases. My head swirls and I feel like I am falling.

“Quick get me down. Please, please oh my god.” I shout and I come down.

“Sophie are you okay?” Molly asks and I feel my face flush.

“I don't know.” The room spins circles around me and I walk to the wall, trying not to faint.

“I... need... to sit... down.” I breath and then my legs buckle beneath me. I hear shouts and feel someones hands lifting me. When I regain my sight and start to feel slightly better, I realise I am in the office, with an ice pack on me.

“Sophie, your mom is coming to collect you. You are missing practise today, so get a good night sleep and be back tomorrow. I am sure you will be fine.”

I walk into school the next day and as soon as I walk in I see Megan and Hayes kissing by her locker.

“Ugh.” I groan and carry on walking to where Alyssa and Kaitlyn are standing. They laugh at my expression and I roll my eyes at them.

“Do you guys want to go to the mall after school?” Kaitlyn asks.

“Yeah sure.” I say as we head to homeroom.

Me, Kaitlyn, Alyssa and Megan head to the mall after school. We go into a couple of shops and Megan drags us into a boutiquey type shop, with loads of expensive dresses on show.

“Why are we in here?” I questions her.

“Oh well Hayes and I are going on a date later. I need a new outfit.” She tells me sweetly. I roll my eyes and look at some cute shoes on a rack.

“Sophie, why'd you roll your eyes at her?” Alyssa appears beside me.

“She's going on a date with Hayes later.”

“And...?” There is an awkward pause here. I don't know what to say.

“Don't tell me you like him Sophie?”

“No... he's just my friend.”

“Sophie? What about what you told us in the nurses office?”

“Alyssa, I'm not allowed to like him.”

Right on cue Megan runs over, her phone in her hand and Kaitlyn in tow.

“Guys, look what Hayes tweeted!” She holds her phone up to us and I see a picture of her and Hayes kissing by the lake. It already has nearly two thousand retweets and loads of comments saying things like 'couple goals'. I briskly turn back to face Alyssa.

“See what I mean...” My phone also buzzes in my pocket and the tweet appears on my screen. I frown, jab the home button and angrily switch off my phone. I debate about whether I should favourite or retweet it but then decide against it when I see Alyssa's face staring at me. She knows. She knows I still have feelings for him.