Chapter 45 - The honest truth

I turn round to face the others, holding my breath anxiously, only to find they hadn't even seen. Elizabeth has her head resting in her hands and Kaitlyn, Alyssa and Megan and talking quietly. I'm not surprised that they are; this isn't exactly the time to hold grudges. I offer my seat to Megan and she takes it, a funny expression playing on her face.

Alyssa's phone goes off and she tells us that her and Kaitlyn are going to help the boys with the food and drinks. As they walk out Elizabeth gets up, telling us she needs to have a chat with the doctor. Megan and I are left alone together.

"How are you?" I break the ice and, hopefully, the awkwardness between us.

"Anxious." She sighs. "I've been so worried about him."

"I feel like it's all my fault." I say and wipe a tear from my eye.

"Don't. You know it isn't your fault." She says and smiles at me reassuringly. I almost feel a slight like for her. I wipe my face one last time and we both turn back to Hayes. His hand has fallen to the side of his bed so I gently lift it back to rest.  Megan watches the whole thing as if it is the most fascinating thing in the world. Leaning back in my seat, I rest my head and close my head. Tey flutter back open when I hear megan clear her throat.

"I nee to tell you something. Well, more than just something really. The honest truth." She says, her brown eyes staring me down. I turn away from Hayes' body and wait for her to speak.

"I know you saw me and Hayes talking at the party. But we weren't talking about what you think. We... we broke up."

"But he kissed you?"

"He kissed me to say goodbye."

"Really..."

"Look Sophie, I need to tell you the full story... of everything." She takes a breath and spins a story from the start of the year.

"So Hayes and I have known each toher for years and well I've always had a childish crush on him. And I always got the impression he liked me back." She laughs here. "So when we moved here and I saw how much Hayes liked you, naturally I was jealous. He talked about you so much; he was so happy. So I did all I could in those couple of days you were out of school to make him my boyfriend. Don't tell anyone but... I offered him... Things I regret offering. What an idiot am i?"  She laughs but I hear her voice crack.

"At first I thought I really did love him but, after a while I realised I was doing it to hurt you. And when you saw Tanner and I - you were right by the way -  I started to feel threatened so... I started the rumours. I'm such a sorry excuse for a person." She sobs and I realise she is crying. I can't help but feel bad.

"Megan, I'm not going to say we are friends now but... thank you for telling me."

"I knew we weren't ever going to be alright but... thank you. And, my mom and I... we are moving back to Texas in a couple of days. This is probably the last time you are going to see me."

"Megan..."

"Don't say anything... Just tell Hayes what I told you and... tell him I am sorry for everything." She stands up to leave and gets to the door.

"Goodbye Megan."

I sit by Hayes' side whilst I wait for the others. I put my hand in his one lat time but to no response this time. Resting my head on the bed, I think about what Megan said. I was right about everything...

A text pings on my phone telling me the others are waiting for me in the hospital café so I getup to leave like Megan had two minutes ago.

I get to the café and see the others sitting around a couple of sofas playing a card game.

"Sophie!" Alyssa calls and I pace over to them.

"We saw megan leaving. She didn't say a word to us. What happened?" Tanner asks. I remember what she said a decide to spill.

"Megan only went out with Hayes to make me jealous. She started rumours about me. And she cheated on Hayes with Tanner." I want to be spiteful about this but I just can't. I fall on to a sofa and hang my head. Tanner has gone red but no one is mean enough to question him when our best friend is unconcious. I pick up an unopened ottle of water and take a sip. The others are watching me as if I am going to explode but I ignore them.
"Oh and Megan is moving back to Texas." I say and they widen their eyes.

"Look, I am going to go back and see if Elizabeth is alright so I'll see you guys at school." I say to break their silence and walk back towards the elevator. As I walk to Hayes' room I go past a doctors office. Inside Elizabeth, teary eyed, is talking to the doctor.

"Please don't worry ma'am. Your son is showing all kids of signs of waking up within the next few weeks."

"But then why hasn't he already?" She sobs.

"I can't give you a straight answer. But I assure you he will be fine."

I am out of reach of the rest of their conversation so I open the door to Hayes' room and perch back in my seat. I take a long look at his lifeless face. I look at the way his brown hair is curling slightly. I take in his curling eyelashes. I follow down the bridge of his nose to his mouth. The mouth I kissed not three days ago. I take in his hands resting on the sheets and I want to pick them up. I want to hold them forever, feel the warmth and his fingers curling round mine. I feel a rush of memories flooding into my brain: the day hayes come back and the meal; the fair and the lake party; babysitting and fishing; Greensboro and the many, many vines we made; all the months I have spent missing him, just to miss him even more.

I sit in the lonely little room when I hear a presence at the door.

"Sophie?" Elizabeth calls and I stand up to face her. "Your mom is waiting outside for you." I remember hearing the conversation with the doctor and I rush forward to give Elizabeth a hug.

"Oh..." She says as I throw myself at her but I feel her arms embrace me warmly. "Thank you Sophie." She lets go and walks out the door. I folow her lead but, just as I am by the door, I hear a noise behind me.

"Sophie..."Hayes mumbles.