bonum nox.

Ashton's POV

Laurie woke me up, but then told me that I could just stay home from school today. I accepted the offer, obviously, because I didn't want to see Luke. Why'd he have to exist? My life would be so much easier if he'd disappear. Or if I did. I don't know which one I would rather have.

I grabbed my phone and scrolled through my contacts to see if there was someone I could hang out with. I would be okay with spending the day alone, but I don't know if I trust myself to be alone right now. Everyone in my contact list was in school or at work. I sighed, about to give up when I saw a name.

Ed.

Wasn't he the guy who helped me after I got hurt? Yeah, I think it was. The ginger with the tattoo sleeve. I forgot about him for awhile. I pressed his contact to send him a text.

From: Unknown Number

hey. i don't know if you remember me, but it's ashton. you kinda helped me ... like a lot. but yeah, hi.

I tossed my phone beside me on the couch, getting up to go use the restroom. I stared in the mirror while washing my hands. I felt weird. I was wearing a short sleeve shirt for once. That was probably the weirdest thing. I couldn't do that much anymore. 

My phone was glowing with a new text when I got back into the living room. I flopped down on the couch and grabbed my phone, typing in my password and clicking on the unread message.

From: Ed

Ashton!! Firstly, hey! How's it goin? Secondly, you should be in school. I think. 

I laughed at the last part of his text. If I had the decision, I would never go back to the place. Sadly, I don't.

From: Ashton!!

it could be better, i guess. how's it going for you ?? and i should be, but i got permission to skip today. 

From: Ed

So you're not doing anything? Maybe you could stop by the coffee shop? Got a performance scheduled there.

From: Ashton!!

yeah, that'd be cool. what time?

From: Ed

12

From Ashton!!

okay. i'll be there.

From: Ed

See ya then!!

I sent Laurie a text saying that I was going to go around town. She said okay and told me to be safe. Then I got up to take a shower. I unwrapped the bandages around my wrists. I'd have to put new ones on after I showered. I blasted Arctic Monkeys while I showered since I was home alone. The hot water burned my cuts, but I ignored the pain and sang along to the music. 

When I got out, I put on a pair of skinny jeans with holes at the knees. I put a hoodie on my bed and went to the kitchen to wrap my wrists. Once I was done with that, I went upstairs to put my hoodie on. I put on my glasses then dried my hair and fixed it. By then it was 11:30, so I decided to start walking there. I probably needed the fresh air. 

~

Luke's POV

Seeing Ashton at school today scared me. Did he try to...or succeed at...no. He couldn't have. My leg bounced as I waited for lunch to come. I can call him at lunch. I can go in the bathroom and call him at lunch. 

When the bell rang at 12:30, I was the first out of the class. I asked Calum to get me a lunch, saying I had to use the restroom really badly. When I got in there, I quickly pulled out my phone then called him. Voicemail. I called him again. Voicemail. Again. Voicemail.

~

Ashton's POV

Ed was really good. When he was done, which was twenty minutes later, we sat down at a table in the coffee shop he just performed in. We talked about quite a bit of things. About ten minutes into our lunch, my phone started vibrating. It was Luke. I let it ring. Ed didn't notice. Then it vibrated again, and I ignored it and put it on silent. Then the screen lit up and he was calling me again. I ignored it. Then it lit up again. I bit my lip, putting my finger over the deny button.

"Answer it." Ed said. I looked up at him. He gave me a sad smile, and I just nodded. I got up from the table, accepting the call and putting the phone up to my ear. I leaned against a the outside of the coffee shop.

"Hello?" I answered. I heard Luke sigh.

"Thank God, you're alright." He said. His voice was in a whisper, as if he was saying that more to himself than to me. 

"Why'd you call me?" I asked. 

"I wanted to see if you were okay." Luke said. What the hell is up with him? He'll ignore me then suddenly care?

"You're really bad at this not-being-friends thing." I said, letting my head fall back against the wall. I closed my eyes.

"Yeah, well, it's not a game I like to play." He said quietly. I opened my eyes and leaned my head back up.

"What do you mean?" I asked. I heard a door slam open against a wall. Then there was a small silence.

"I have to go." He said. 

"Luke, wait-" I said, but it was too late. He already hung up. I sighed and walked back into the shop, sitting back in the booth with Ed.

"What happened?" He asked. I put my phone on the table and pulled my sleeves further over my hands.

"He's a dick."

~

Luke's POV

"I had to see if he was alright. It's different, okay?" I said, backing up with my hands put up in front of me. Michael and Calum walked closer, letting the door shut behind him.

"We're just trying to save you from becoming a loser, Luke." Michael said. I backed up with every step they took closer. My back hit the wall.

"It doesn't really feel like you're helping me." I said. I regretted it. Calum grabbed the front of my shirt and threw me down to the ground. They both started kicking me. I tried not to scream. I knew that made them more angry from experience. Michael pulled me up by my arms and pushed me against the wall.

"Now stay the fuck away from that fag. We can't help you unless you let us." Michael said. They left, and I slid slowly down the wall. I clenched my stomach and leaned my head against my knees. I didn't want their "help." But I had to go with it. It was what was best for Ashton. I'd rather have them beating on me than him. And that's what I've been trying to accomplish.

Am I not trying hard enough?

~