godnat.

Ashton's POV

I guess another week was enough for Luke to stop talking to me altogether. I knew we were fading away from each other, but I just couldn't let that happen. I couldn't let him leave me. He promised me that he would never leave me. 

As soon as I got home, I threw my backpack on the couch and ran to my room. I took my phone out of my pocket and called Luke. He had to answer. We're best friends, right?

"Hello?" A voice said through the phone, but it wasn't Luke's.

"Who is this?" I asked, slightly worried. Why didn't he answer his phone?

"It's Michael. Hi, Ashton." I could hear the annoyance in his voice. He hates me, doesn't he? Of fucking course.

"Um, hello. Is Luke there?" I asked. He sighed. Damn. Michael is a bitch. 

"Yeah, hold on a minute." Michael said. I heard him say Luke's name.

"Hello?" I heard Luke say. I thought he would see who it was and hang up.

"Hi. Do you hate me?" I asked, biting my lip. 

"No, of course not." He said, sounding annoyed. That wasn't very convincing.

"Are you sure?" I asked once more. He hates me, let's face it. We were just best friends until better people came along. Of course. I should've guessed.

"Um, yeah. I've got to go. Bye." He said, and hung up.

He didn't even say I love you.

~

That night I felt an urge I hadn't felt in awhile. I kept calling Luke, over and over again. I was sobbing. He would know how to calm me down. Of course he would. 

But he never picked up.

I must have given up after I called him twenty times. I had to face the facts. He's done with me. I have to accept that. 

I bet he won't even check the voicemails.

I kept saying the same thing in the voicemails. Over and over again. 

"Luke, pick up your phone. Please! I need you. I-I think I'm going to cut and I don't want to yet I do and please just answer your phone!"

"Lukey! I've called you a ton of times and I can't stop crying and...fuck. it's only seven in the afternoon. You're not asleep, are you?" 

"You hate me. I know. Um, goodbye. I love you, Lukey." 

Just the same things. Over and over again.

~

School the next day was awkward as fuck. Luke hung out with popular people. I was alone. I was back to being the school freak, wasn't I?

Lunch was the worst. I just awkwardly sat there, waiting for Luke to join me. I knew he wouldn't, but I was still hoping. I didn't bother to eat anything. I lost my appetite. 

Everyone knew something was up. It was the main gossip of the day. Luke and I were attached at the hip for so long. Everyone wanted to know what happened. Luke never answered their questions, and neither did I. Because there's nothing to it. People just fade away from each other. It happens to everyone. 

But it's okay. I knew it was coming anyway.

~

I wanted to sleep as soon as I got home. I just wanted to fall asleep and never wake up. But I had to keep my sleep schedule on time or Laurie would kill me. Laurie is the name of the woman who adopted me. Her and her husband were really nice. They couldn't have children but they adopted me. 

It would take awhile to tell my story. My parents passed away and it made an impact on my life. 

"Ashton, dinner is ready!" Laurie yelled, bringing me out of my thoughts. I walked downstairs to the dining room. 

"Good afternoon, Stephen." I said as Laurie's husband walked into the room. They weren't my parents, so I wasn't going to call them that. They're just my...guardians, you could say. 

"Hello, Ashton. How was your day?" He asked, taking a seat at the table. 

"Good." I lied, grabbing plates to set the table. Things were so much more serious here. Sure, we had fun days, but it's not the same. 

"That's good to hear." He said, patting my back. I nodded, causing my hair to fall in front of my eyes. I moved it, knowing that they weren't the biggest fans of my haircut. They think I can't see with hair in my eyes all the time. 

Once the table was set, Laurie started putting food on our plates. I ate quietly and listened to them talking about work and shit that I didn't care about. 

"Ashton, would you care to help with the dishes?" Laurie asked me. I nodded, grabbing my plate and rinsing it off. When she said help, she really meant for me to do them. I didn't complain, though. She has work and is probably tired. 

I went upstairs and took a shower once I finished. I wanted to cut so bad, but I wouldn't let myself. I had been clean for so long and I don't want to ruin it. 

I went to bed after I showered. Well, I'd like to say I went to sleep. In reality, I went on Tumblr for half an hour. I just reblogged a bunch of music and YouTube stuff. Basically everything that showed up on my dashboard. Then I put my phone on the charger, put in an Of Mice & Men CD, and snuggled into my bed.

I was almost asleep when my phone lit up and buzzed. I groaned, turning to my side to ignore the text. Then I realized that I didn't have anymore friends. That's when curiosity took over me on who could actually be texting me. I grabbed my phone and looked at the screen. 

It was from Luke.

From: Lukeybear

Goodnight

From: Ashyboo

shut the fuck up.

From: Lukeybear

Goodnight <3 

From: Ashyboo

goodnight. 

~