dobranoc.

Ashton's POV

The first thing I noticed when I walked into homeroom was Luke. He had a varsity jacket on of our school colours, red and blue, which meant he joined some kind of sports team. Considering Michael and Calum are on the football team, I'm going to assume that's what he joined. He had on a purple beanie and had coffee in his hand, meaning he must be very tired, since he rarely drinks coffee. I don't know how he survives; I have to drink it every morning if I want to function right.

"Hemmings, drink it quickly or throw it away." Mr. Lushe said as he entered the classroom. Luke groaned, hanging it to Michael, who quickly downed the hot beverage and threw it away. I got out my phone and plugged in my headphones, putting them on and listening to the One Direction song that came on. 

"Mr. Lushe, may we see you in the principal's office for a moment?" The lady on the intercom said. He replied with a quick 'yeah' and put down his papers.

"Irwin, you're in charge." He ordered. I nodded. He was the football coach, so he tends to call people by their last names. I guess it works since we call him by his last name. I just call him Mr. Lushe while most students called him Coach Lushe. He left the room. I immediately felt insecure, as everyone was staring at me.

"Hello, Ashy." Michael said, knocking my book off my desk and sitting on my desk. I bent down to pick it up, and he pushed me off my chair, causing the whole class to laugh. I tried to sit up, but Calum kicked me in the stomach, making me fall back to the floor. 

"Get up, faggot." Michael teased, kicking me again when I tried to get up. I grabbed his foot when he tried to kick me again and pulled him down. I got up and ran out of the classroom, making my way to the bathroom. 

I looked in the mirror, seeing tears running down my face. I silently cursed myself for being so vulnerable, as I would have red eyes for awhile. I splashed some water on my face, making my way back to the classroom. I had to beat Mr. Lushe there, or else Michael and Calum might get even more pissed off. 

I entered the classroom, flipping Michael and Calum off while making my way to my seat. I kept my buried in my book as if it were the most interesting thing in the world. My hair was hanging over my eyes to hide the redness. 

"Did everyone behave, Ashton?" Mr. Lushe asked as he walked in. I nodded, grabbing my phone and headphones. I turned the music on, escaping the world with the sound of Gasoline by Troye Sivan flowing into my ears. I immediately relaxed, keeping my mind focused on the music. 

I saw the teacher stare at me for a little longer, eventually sighing and going back to work. I didn't want him to worry about me. I'm okay. Or at least I'll be okay with acting like I am. Either way, I'm okay.

"Irwin, see me after class." I heard the teacher say. I just nodded, wishing the volume of the music was up louder so I could've pretended like I didn't hear him. 

The bell rang and I gathered all my stuff up, making my way towards the door. Maybe I can sneak out. I walked past him with my head down, trying to blend in with the rest of the class.

"Ashton." He said. I sighed, stopping in place, causing someone to run into me. I looked up at them, my hazel eyes meeting a pair of blue eyes. Blue eyes that belonged to Luke. He just bumped into my shoulder, harder than he could've, and continued his walk out the classroom. I took a seat on one of the student desks.

"So what'd they do?" He asked, leaning against the front of the desk. I shrugged.

"Nothing. They left me alone." I said, making eye contact to convince him more. 

"Nice try, but your eyes beg to differ." He said. I wiped my eyes on my sleeve. Crying has the worst way of sharing your actions with the world. 

"At least I gave it a shot." I said, bring my legs up to sit criss-cross on the desk. It was worth attempting.

"You can't prove a lie, but a lie can prove you." He said. I thought it over for a second, deciphering the meaning. I nodded once I got it.

"That's a beautiful quote. Who's it from?" I asked, pushing up my glasses that had made their way to the tip of my nose. 

"My father. He used to tell me this whenever I told a lie. Now, a lie makes a great impact on your personality. You wouldn't want to trust a liar, would you?" He questioned. I shook my head in response.

"Exactly. So, tell me the truth. It gains trust." He said. I was kind of glad that he lacked a class this period.

"They pushed me out of my chair and hit me. Called me a faggot." I told him, bringing my knees up to my chest. 

"They as in Calum and Michael?" He asked, and I nodded.

"How did that make you feel?" He asked me, a look of concern in his eyes.

"It made me feel bad about myself. I couldn't stand up for myself, and I-I was just scared. I was scared of them." I admitted, wiping at the upcoming tears.

"Tell someone the truth, Ashton. You can get help." He said, walking towards me and putting a hand on my knee. I shook my head.

"I'm fine, I don't need help." I said. I got up and left without another word. I didn't just leave his classroom, I left the school. I went out through a door that was in the empty gym. I put my headphones on and started my journey home.

~

When I got home, I opened my school bag and grabbed my pencil sharpener. I took a screwdriver and removed the screws, letting the blades fall into my hand.

~