25: Where's Wormtail?

Not to be confused with Where's Waldo?

Summary: The Weasleys' morning is rather eventful.

The first page of Ginny's new diary was splattered with ink. She just couldn't help it. The ink stayed on the pages like it would in a normal book. There was no fading away and being replaced by another person's writing. She let out a laugh of complete delight.

"Hey, Ginny," Ron's voice came from the other side of her bedroom door. "You coming out?"

"Yeah, yeah. Don't get your wand in a twist!" She put her journal down, keeping it open so the ink would dry, and went for the door.

"Enjoying your new book, I see," Ron said, catching a glimpse of the ink smears on the pages before the door closed.

Ginny nodded. "It's silly, I know. I just... I'm just glad I can enjoy it without being worried I'm gonna black out."

Ron smiled softly. "No, it's not silly at all." It was great to see his little sister back to normal again, or at least getting there. She wasn't as comfortable sleeping in total darkness like she used to.

They reached the kitchen, where they both came to a halt. Their parents and all their siblings were there, but no one was eating. Professor Albus Dumbledore and Lupin stood in the doorway, both looking grim. Ron had the feeling they've been waiting for a while.

"What's going on?" he said.

"Where's your rat?" Lupin asked without preamble.

"Scabbers? Um, he's in my room, sleeping."

"Can you go get him please?"

Ron glanced at his mother, who nodded, her expression strained, and slowly headed back up.

Scabbers was lying on his bed still, his fur as patchy as ever. What could Lupin possibly want from him? It had to be important.

Ron carried him back downstairs. "Why do you need him?"

"Because he's not what he seems," Dumbledore said. "Remus?"

Lupin moved forward, not taking Scabbers from him, but looking him over. His eyes hardened. "It's him."

"Who?" said Percy, anxiety edging his voice.

"Peter Pettigrew."

Ron drew back, holding Scabbers close. "That's absurd! He's dead because of Black!"

Scabbers stirred and lifted his head. He let out a sudden squeak and began struggling madly.

"What the... whoa!" Ron nearly lost his grip on him. "Scabbers, calm down!"

Dumbledore removed his wand and pointed it at Scabbers, who was wrenched from Ron's hand and into his own.

"Professor?" Ginny sounded frightened, edging closer to Bill.

"What are you doing with him?" Ron demanded. He started to move forward, but one look from Lupin stopped him.

"We need to test something." Lupin looked apologetic, but he didn't waver. "I promise if we're wrong, we'll leave immediately. But please, Ron. Let us do what we came here for."

Ron hesitated. He trusted Dumbledore and Lupin had been nothing but kind toward Harry. He nodded assent.

Scabbers thrashed even more violently as Lupin pointed his wand at him. A bright blue light shot from the end and within seconds, everyone was leaping back.

Scabbers had gone. In his place was a short, balding man.

"Merlin!" the twins whispered. Percy's eyes had bulged so much they looked like they were about to fall right out of his head.