48: Snitches Get Stitches

Or... a bunch of pustules that are in no way natural and totally not suspicious... Same difference, though, right?

Summary: the D.A. learn the Patronus Charm; Harry is totally awesome; pustules... not so much

"Firenze is pretty handsome, don't you think?" Jayson said absentmindedly.

"Yeah, I guess." Just because Harry wore glasses didn't mean he was blind to the centaur's beauty. But still, what was it about people being attracted by looks? Even Jayson's crush on Logan started out that way. Was that normal?

"He's okay." Hermione looked even less enthusiastic than Harry, albeit for a different reason. "But I never really liked horses."

"Horses and centaurs are two different creatures," Ron pointed out.

"Either way, he's still got four legs."

Jayson sent her a withering glance. "Anyway, Harry, he told me to pass a message. He wants to see you after classes today."

Harry exchanged a look with Ron, who shrugged. "Okay."

So he did, but when he rejoined his friends in the common room, he was thoroughly confused. "'His attempt is not working.' What does that even mean?"

"Who knows?" Hermione looked apprehensive. "But you better tell Hagrid next lesson."

April came, along with a chance for Harry to speak with Hagrid privately.

"Nice bloke, Firenze, but he don't know what he's talking about on this. The attempt's coming on fine."

"Hagrid, Malfoy had already sacked Trelawney," Harry persisted. "You really should be careful."

"There's things more important than keeping a job," said Hagrid, refusing to be swayed. "Don't worry about me, Harry, just get along now, there's a good lad."

And Harry, still in the dark as to what the "attempt" was, had no choice but to leave him be.

In the D.A., Harry finally moved on to something he knew the others were looking forward to: the Patronus Charm.

"Happy memory or thought," he reminded everyone. "Easier said than done, but it is doable. And it works like a charm."

Logan stopped and stared at him, unamused.

"Get it?" Harry poked him in the arm. "Like a charm? Because it's —"

"Yes." Logan raised a hand to shush him. "I get it."

Harry sniffed. "You're just jealous I'm funnier than you."

He walked back over to Ron, whose face was scrunched up in concentration.

"Expecto patronum!" Something struggled to separate from his wand, only to sizzle out seconds later.

"Almost," Harry said. He focused on his own memories and thought of Lucius Malfoy being sacked. "Expecto patronum!"

A large wolf burst from the tip of his wand. It prowled around, looking for the danger. When it found none, it returned to Harry, dipped its head, and faded away.

Harry suddenly realized no one was speaking. He looked around at the impressed faces.

Hannah Abbott broke the silence first. "Wow. That was beautiful."

"What did you think of, Harry?" Cedric asked.

"Of Lucius Malfoy being sacked," Harry said sheepishly.

The shields became noticeably much brighter after that.

"Expecto patronum!" Out of Ron's wand came a dog, a terrier by the looks of it.