Part 45

The lack of Weasley is Our King was quite interesting to write.

Summary: Gryffindor vs. Slytherin; Hagrid is back

Over the next couple of weeks, the defense group made vast improvements. Harry could not have been prouder, especially knowing that the Ministry was unaware of what was going on. He was actually able to tolerate the insolent looks Professor Malfoy gave him and his son's taunting.

At least they were allowed to practice basic spells now, although it was still being strictly controlled. For one thing, they were only going over topics they've already learned such as boggarts. It beat reading, Harry supposed.

Professor Malfoy barely acknowledged anyone that did well, even the Slytherins with a few exceptions. To the surprise of no one, Professor Malfoy looked as though he were barely holding in a sneer when Hermione raised her hand to answer a question or stepped up to perform the spell for the boggart.

"Riddikulus!" Daphne chanted, sounding almost bored.

Harry could see a few others fighting back yawns as well. Ron hadn't even flinched when the giant spider loomed over him, just said the spell with the air of someone talking about a History of Magic lesson.

When it was Harry's turn, he expected more or less the same result. But instead of coldness and screaming, there was only silence. For instead of a dementor like he had anticipated, a body lay on the floor. Blood seeped out of the gashes and into the wizard's robes. Hazel eyes stared blankly up at the ceiling.

"Riddikulus," Harry croaked. Nothing happened. "Riddikulus!" Still nothing.

Ron pushed past him, and the spider appeared once more. "Riddikulus!"

The spider disappeared with a loud crack.

A shiver ran through Harry's body even though the temperature hadn't changed. There was a soft scornful noise, and he met Professor Malfoy's gaze.

"And here I was expecting greater of you," he murmured, his voice carrying no farther than Harry's ears. The bell rang. "Class dismissed."

Harry continued to stare into his eyes for a moment longer before whipping around and storming for the door. The class parted to let him pass.

Tracey caught up to him at the other end of the corridor, her face paler than normal. "That was how he looked, isn't it?" she asked softly. "After..."

"Yes," Harry said shortly because the last thing he wanted to do was discuss it, even with Ron and Hermione, both of whom were watching him in concern.

To his relief, Tracey dropped the subject and let him fall back without another word.

"I'm going to... the library," he said, not meeting Ron or Hermione's eyes.

Ron nodded in understanding. "Okay. We'll see you later."

If Harry really were going to the library, he would've made his way for the staircase. Instead, he disappeared into the hidden corridor and entered the Chamber, where he sank next to the basilisk corpse, his strength fading with his anger.

Professor Malfoy had the nerve to stand there unmoving while Harry struggled with the boggart. Memories of that night flashed in his mind, that traitorous Wormtail bonding him to the gravestone, Voldemort rising, the Death Eaters jeering, and, worst of all, Remus in the hospital wing, almost dead.

Harry raised his head and gazed unfocused at one of the fangs in the basilisk's mouth. He hadn't been the only one who had suffered recently thanks to Voldemort. Ginny was only a year younger than Harry was; how she managed to fight the diary long enough to get rid of it was admirable.