Reading Checkpoint

Last edited: April 1, 2022

This is something I've done for two of my other chaptered fics. Decided to put one here as well just in case I fall behind on updates and/or you forget some details. Pretty straightforward, it's a summary of everything that's happened so far.

I was going to put this after fifth year, but I decided to stick it between fourth and fifth. Apologies in advance if I get anything wrong.

Short version

Harry, Ron, and Hermione, and later Ginny are Sorted into Slytherin. Ron is shown to have Seer-like abilities. The golden trio become the golden quintet with my original characters Jayson Sage the gay son and our local reptile/amphibian enthusiast Obsidian Amsel. Remus Lupin adopts Harry after second year with Sirius Black joining after he is declared innocent. Peter Pettigrew and Bellatrix Lestrange are present at Voldemort's return.

Long version

Before Hogwarts

• Harry, Ron, and Hermione each get their letters.

• Ron meets Harry at Flourish and Blotts, though Harry introduces himself as James as to not draw attention to himself.

• Hermione becomes aware of Harry Potter, though she has no clue who he is. She also becomes aware that there is prejudice in the wizarding world after Draco Malfoy bumps into her.

First Year

• September 1st: Harry boards the train and officially introduces himself to Ron. They immediately become friends.

• Hermione sees Harry perform the Summoning Charm and meets him officially. She tries to put on a good first impression but leaves soon after when Harry looks alarmed.

• They reach Hogwarts; Hermione, Harry, and Ron are all Sorted into Slytherin, much to the shock of the school. Ron was a Hatstall.

• Harry and Ron end up becoming dormmates to Blaise Zabini, Obsidian Amsel, and Jayson Sage; (offscreen) Hermione picks a dorm with Tracey Davis, Daphne Greengrass, and Pansy Parkinson.

• Ron is worried his parents won't like him in Slytherin; fortunately, while they are surprised, they are also proud. His brothers are also fine with it.

• Potions doesn't go well for Neville, who puts porcupine quills into his cauldron. Harry is too late in stopping him. Draco scorns Harry for trying to help.

• First flying lessons happen as per canon, except Harry doesn't go flying up after Draco. Madam Hooch takes points away from Slytherin — thanks, Malfoy.

• Jayson and Sid befriend Harry and Ron.

• Hermione's not having as much of a good time as they are. The turning point is in Charms when she corrects Parkinson, who snaps at her and causes her to cry in a bathroom.

• Harry and Ron go to comfort Hermione; a troll breaks into the bathroom but is knocked out. Harry explains to the professors what happened.

• Hermione joins the trio (or quintet if you include Sid and Jay).

• (offscreen) The trio visit Hagrid, who lets it slip about Fluffy. Later, they see Snape is limping and deduce he was bitten by Fluffy.

• Hermione sneaks into the Restricted Section.

• Harry receives his Invisibility Cloak and is tempted to use it but ends up not needing to use it as Hermione figures out who Nicholas Flamel is.

• Small time skip: Harry is worried that Norbert the dragon is going to get Hagrid in trouble. Luckily, they're successful, partly in thanks to Jayson knocking Draco out.