60: All Hell Breaks Loose

Sometimes, I think to myself, 'Can you believe it's Chapter 60 already?' But at the same time, it's 'I can't believe it's only Chapter 60.'

Summary: Harry leaves to find Dumbledore

The words were barely out of Tracey's mouth before Harry quickly downed the remaining Felix Felicis and pushed past her, sprinting for the door. He had to stop them... Ron's words played in his head once more.

"Dumbledore's going to die... It's not going to make a difference..."

But he had to try... Harry paused in a corridor, panting. Where were they? Where did Ron say they were? A tower... Dumbledore fell from a tower.

But which one? Harry squinted out between the columns and nearly forgot to breathe. The Dark Mark hung over the Astronomy Tower.

He started off again, not pausing to acknowledge the shocked students around him. He could make it... he could save Dumbledore... Just a little faster... just get around the mayhem in the corridor —

Without warning, he slammed facefirst into something and fell onto his back. Wincing, he stood again and tried to move forward, only to be forced back again. He extended his hand. A barrier, invisible but present, blocked him.

Dammit! Liquid Luck couldn't undo curses and jinxes. But he could find a way around it. Of course he could.

But then, as Harry was removing his wand, he heard a voice — Snape's voice.

"Avada Kedavra!"

A flash of green light filled the entryway to the tower.

"Move, Draco!" said Snape, and Harry's heart sank. Draco Malfoy was here? But why? How?

A shadow fell onto the staircase. Harry tightened his grip on his wand.

"Petrificus Totalus!" he shouted as the first wizard appeared.

Snape yanked Malfoy out of the way, causing the spell to hit a lumpy-looking wizard. He buckled over and hit the floor, but Snape did not pause.

"Snape, you —" Harry shouted.

It happened so fast. One moment, he was standing there, about to cast... something... then he was on the floor trying to catch his breath.

"Don't waste your time with Potter," Snape said. "He belongs to the Dark Lord. Go!"

Harry tried to move, but his head was spinning. He could hear several pairs of feet racing away, but by the time he had gotten to his own feet, they were gone.

He struggled to the corridor and found it alive with wizards and witches. The back of Snape's robes disappeared around the corner and Harry followed. Malfoy had been expelled... Harry had not stopped to think that he could still come back, that he would even try. And how had he? Of course. Snape had let him in. That traitor.

Something heavy crashed into him, knocking Harry back onto the floor. He caught a glimpse of yellowing teeth and braced himself for the inevitable.

"GET OFF OF HIM, YOU FILTHY PIECE OF —"

The attacker was thrown off, and then hands roughly pulled Harry to his feet.

"Are you okay?" Jayson demanded.

"Yes."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes. Where are the others?"

"I don't know. Fighting somewhere. Harry, where are you going?"

Harry had taken off running. "Find them and take them back to the common room," he ordered over his shoulder.