44: The Chamber of Dumbledore's Army

Crackhead Potter is back.

Summary: Dumbledore's Army is a go; Sid gets a souvenir; Sirius has a gray hair

It would just be a couple of people that would be interested in this secret defense group, Hermione said. I'm not expecting a lot to show up, she said. Now Harry was by no means a genius, but he was pretty certain thirty-some students from all four houses sitting in the dingy room in the Hog's Head pub was certainly not just a couple of people.

Most of them were willing even before Harry finished speaking with a few exceptions like Cho Chang's friend and Zacharias Smith.

"That was... a lot of people," Harry commented as they left.

"Yeah," agreed Ron. "How the hell are we supposed to teach all of them without getting caught? Bad enough we're in Slytherin with people like Malfoy lurking about..."

"We'll figure it out." Hermione examined a long black and gold quill. "The castle is huge; I'm sure there's something we haven't discovered. Just look at the Chamber of Secrets! It was only a few years ago did we find out it wasn't just a legend."

She paid for her quill, and they walked back out.

"That could be useful," Ginny mused. "Think about it!" she insisted when Hermione looked at her in confusion. "Hardly anyone used that bathroom before, and after my first year, they avoid it even more. Once we figure out how to get in and out..."

"Then we'll be unstoppable!" proclaimed Harry, latching onto the idea immediately. "Hey, do you think Moaning Myrtle would mind being a guard?"

Hermione shrugged. "It's an idea. But how many people do you think will be willing to go there?"

"All of them if they know what's good for them," Ron said almost grimly. "I'm in favor of the Chamber."

When Hermione still looked uncertain, Ron went on. "No one knows how to operate it other than the main entrance. But we'll figure something out. I wouldn't be surprised if Salazar Slytherin had a dozen secret entrances or something."

Harry and Hermione exchanged a look. It looked like they had a Chamber to figure out.

"Merlin's pants!" Sid whispered, staring at the basilisk corpse. "That thing must be as big as a... er... well... it's huge!"

Jayson looked as though he were about to keel over. "You're not gonna marry it, are you?"

"No." Sid huffed. "I do have standards, thank you very much." But his eyes strayed to the corpse again.

Ginny, though, was trying to look at anything but the basilisk. "Yes, lovely. Now where are the exits?"

"We can look for another place, you know," Harry said softly.

"No." Ginny lifted her head and looked him in the eye. "I still get nightmares where I think Riddle is controlling me, even after three years. I will not let his stupid pet scare me."

Harry dipped his head. "Okay."

"Harry, come over here!" Ron called, waving him over to where he stood by the wall.

Harry went over. There was a stone king cobra sitting there, watching them. "What is it?"

"I'm not sure. But the cobra said something."

Harry turned to the cobra. 'Hello?'

'A speaker,' said the cobra, its eyes flashing green.

'Are you guarding something?' Harry asked.