43: Peacock (Derogatory)

Me: Percy's my second favorite Weasley child

Also me: *forgets to include a very crucial part of his role in the fifth book like an idiot*

Summary: Percy is conflicted; Draco is very happy for some reason

Flashbacks in first section

Something had happened, Percy could tell, and it wasn't good. Rumor had it Aurors and Madam Amelia Bones had gone to Hogwarts, but Percy hadn't had time to learn the reason why, assuming it was true.

He couldn't help but wonder if it had anything to do with Harry Potter. Percy could remember how he had nearly fainted when he heard Harry's claims that the Dark Lord was back. Minister Cornelius Fudge had reassured everyone it was not true, that Harry was in shock. Percy had believed him, though inwardly he had felt some sympathy toward Harry, knowing he hadn't asked to be put into the tournament.

Then Fudge had called him into his office. Percy went up, fully expecting to be punished for not noticing Mr. Crouch's diminishing health. Fudge simply smiled at him and asked for him to sit down.

"Do you believe Potter's claims?" he had asked.

Percy had started at the abruptness but answered readily. "No. I mean, the poor kid's been through some tough times. With the abuse and Black and the tournament." Granted, Black was innocent, but they hadn't known that until later.

"Yes, yes. And your family?"

"Hadn't gotten a chance to speak with them," Percy admitted. "But knowing them, they'll believe Harry." Especially Ron, but Percy was sure he'd come around. At that moment, his stomach let out a small growl. Percy winced. "Sorry."

Fudge chuckled lightly. "It's all right, Weasley. I'll cut to the chase." He folded his hands in front of him and looked directly into Percy's face. "How would you like to become my personal assistant?"

Percy stared. He had not heard that right. "Are you... are you serious?"

"Very much so."

"As in Junior Assistant to —?"

"The very one." Fudge smiled.

"I — yes!" Percy struggled to maintain calm. "I accept."

"Excellent, excellent." Fudge beamed and stood, shaking his hand. "Now I'm sure you'll want to tell your parents. They'll be delighted."

"Yes, sir!" Percy leaped to his feet. "Thank you, sir."

He left, his spirits higher than ever. His parents would be so pleased.

Or so he thought. Now, as Percy straightened the stack of parchments on his desk, he remembered his father's words.

"Don't you see what he's doing! He wants you to spy on us!"

Percy's vision had gone red then. How dare Arthur Weasley, who had no ambition and would rather play with Muggle toys, judge Percy for achieving something as extraordinary as Junior Assistant to the Minister? And how dare the rest of them sit back and let him say such nonsense?

But maybe his father was right... It was all too convenient, and after Mr. Crouch, Percy hadn't expected a promotion. No. The Ministry wanted what was best for the wizarding world. Of course it did.

Percy shook his head and stood up, holding the stack in his hands. He had files to deliver.

Leaving his office, Percy was aware of the excitement in the air. He caught snatches of conversation here and there, all of which agreed on one thing: Madam Umbridge had been arrested. But that couldn't be right. Percy had met her and she was very open about her support of Fudge.