11: What Happens at Flourish & Blotts Stays at Flourish & Blotts...

Finals have officially begun.

Summary: ... and the rest of the wizarding world probably.

Harry coughed as soot filled his mouth. Note to self, do not travel by Floo if you can help it.

"You get used to it," said George.

Harry barely refrained from flinching as George's hand came up to thump him on the back, but he could tell by the flicker in his eyes he had noticed. He didn't get a chance to comment on it, though, for the rest of the family came through one by one.

They met up with Hermione at Gringotts and headed out. The trio, united again, talked excitedly among themselves as they went, slurping on ice cream Harry bought for them. Harry could have almost forgotten that anything was wrong in the world, but then they came across Flourish and Blotts, where Gilderoy Lockhart was signing books.

Hermione was thrilled at having a chance to meet him, while Harry and Ron hung back. But the crowd kept pushing and shoving until Harry got separated and ended up standing not far from Lockhart.

Their eyes met and he beamed. "It can't be Harry Potter?"

He reached out to grab him, but Harry had spent plenty of time dodging Dudley and his gang and easily slipped through the crowd until he was safely behind Ron.

"Now, now, I don't bite!" Lockhart called, still smiling.

"You're a strange man who tried to grab me," Harry said. "How was I supposed to know?"

There were a few murmurs of disapproval. Lockhart's smile faltered, but then it was back full force.

"Ladies and gentlemen. What an extraordinary moment this is! The perfect moment for me to make a little announcement I've been sitting on for some time!

"When young Harry here stepped into Flourish and Blotts today, he only wanted to buy my autobiography — which I shall be happy to present him now, free of charge — he had no idea that he would shortly be getting much, much more than my book, Magical Me. He and his school fellows will, in fact, be getting the real, magical me."

Harry exchanged a puzzled look with Ron.

"Yes, ladies and gentlemen, I have great pleasure and pride in announcing that, this September, I will be taking up the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry!"

Oh no.

"Yes!" Hermione whispered, eyes bright. "Isn't this wonderful?"

"Not really," Harry and Ron said together.

"I'm sure he'll be fine," said Percy, but even he looked doubtful.

To make matters worse, Draco Malfoy had watched the whole thing.

"Where's your Gryffindor courage, Potter?" He had his usual sneer on his face. "Famous Harry Potter. Can't face a handful of adoring fans?"

Ginny glowered at him. "Leave him alone, he didn't want all that!"

Malfoy looked her up and down with disdain. "Potter, you've got yourself a girlfriend! And a Weasley at that. Let's hope she stays out of the dungeons, hm?"

Ginny's face reddened.

"Yes, let's," said Harry. "For your sake."

It was Malfoy's turn to go pink.

A man appeared behind him. He had the same pale pointed face. His father, no doubt. Harry wondered if the sneer he wore was passed down the family; it looked just like Draco's.