23: Marauder's Map

Hey, I'm feeling kinda meh, so have another chapter. It's over 3000 words, enjoy it while it lasts.

Summary: Harry gains two things he doesn't want: a tail named Percy Weasley and a newfound dislike for Professor Snape, as well as something he didn't know he wanted.

(Gee, I wonder what that could be /sarcasm.)

In the days following Black's attempt to break in, Harry found himself constantly in the presence of teachers, all of whom found excuses to walk the same corridor as him. Even Percy tailed him.

"Hello, Harry," he said in his usual authoritative voice, falling in beside him as Harry left the Great Hall one morning.

"Hey," replied Harry in a dull tone. He walked into the library and took out Miranda Goshawk's Book of Spells. Percy followed suit after grabbing a book he most definitely did not need.

"Sir Cadogan still giving you trouble?" Harry asked after a few minutes of staring at the same page.

"Very much so," Percy said with feeling, "but no one else would take the job."

"Can't blame them." Harry turned the page. "Wouldn't want to lose my nose after it's been painted so carefully."

"Harry?"

It was Remus, who poked his head around a bookshelf. "Ah, there you are."

Harry closed his book and stood up. Percy did as well. "Something wrong?"

"Besides the usual?" Remus said dryly. "No, nothing's wrong. Come with me, will you?" He looked over at Percy, who had come to stand by Harry. "It's all right, Percy. I'll take it from here."

Percy sat back down, and Harry followed Remus out of the library.

Remus didn't speak until they were both inside his office. "Have you seen anything unusual the past few weeks?"

Harry went to say no, then relented. "I think I saw the Grim when we passed the Shrieking Shack."

Remus blanched. "And were there... any other times?"

"Once. On my birthday as I was getting into bed. Why?" Was the Grim really an omen of death after all?

Several emotions flickered in Remus' hazel eyes. "You need to tell me if you see this Grim again, all right?" he finally said in a rather fierce tone.

Baffled by his intensity, Harry nodded.

Just when Harry didn't think things could get worse, Professor Snape substituted for Remus' class.

"Professor Lupin has not left any record of the topics you have covered so far," he said. "Not to worry."

His eyes flicked over to Harry, a malevolent glint in their depths. Whatever he was about to say next wasn't going to be good.

"Today, we shall discuss —" he flipped to the back of the book — "werewolves."

Harry's jaw clenched. Somewhere off to his left, Malfoy let out a small howl to Crabbe and Goyle, who laughed.

"Now turn to page three hundred and ninety-four," Snape said.

With some uneasy glances at Harry, they did.

"Which of you can tell me how we distinguish between the werewolf and the true wolf? Anyone?" He completely ignored Hermione's hand in the air and looked at Harry. "Not even you, Potter?"

"He hadn't covered it yet," Harry pointed out through gritted teeth.

"Yes, we were due to start hinkypunks," Hermione added.