67: A Book a Day Keeps the Asshole Away If You Throw It Hard Enough

Random fun fact: There is a thing called the hedgehog theorem, also known as the hairy ball theorem. Anyway...

Summary: Carry on, my wayward readers. I cannot promise peace when you are done :)

The silvery shape paused in front of Jayson. His breath caught in his throat as it formed a large, slender snake.

"One more Horcrux to go. Riddle knows. Take cover."

He was alive. Sid was alive. Jayson let out a small huff of relief.

"Jay?" A gentle hand touched his shoulder. Ginny stared at him in concern. "Is everything all right?"

She yelped as Jayson lifted her in the air and spun her around. "Sid's alive!" he announced.

"That's wonderful!" Ginny hugged him, beaming as he let out his first laugh in what felt like ages. "Anything else?"

The rest of Sid's message came crashing back down. "They got Hufflepuff's Cup."

Ginny nodded slowly, not seeming to understand why he didn't sound as excited. "And?"

"He knows it's been destroyed. You-Know-Who, I mean. And he'll be coming after us." Jayson squeezed her hand. "Is there anyone else from the D.A. who hasn't been taken down to the Chamber?"

"Just us."

"What about Neville?" The Carrows had chained him up after he refused to punish a first-year."

"Kyra said they released him yesterday," Ginny reassured him. "He's safe."

Jayson closed his eyes for a second. "Then let's get the hell out of here."

But before they could start for the entrance to the Chamber, three people stepped out into the open. Malfoy, Crabbe, and Goyle.

"You're not going anywhere, Sage."

"And you're gonna stop us?" Ginny flashed back at him.

Crabbe brandished his wand. Jayson took an involuntary step back. "I think Sage needs a reminder of what happens when he doesn't act like a true Slytherin."

"Only after you." Jayson scooped up a book and threw it with all his might at them. Malfoy ducked, but Goyle received a direct hit. He fell over, clutching his temple.

"Stupefy!" Malfoy shouted.

Ginny dodged and took off toward the common room entrance. "Jay, move!"

Jayson followed. Colloshoo! he chanted. He heard cursing behind him; the hex must have hit its mark.

Ginny sent something as well, but Jayson didn't stop to look. He and Ginny burst through the door. Jayson turned and thought, Colloportus!

"You think that'll hold?" Ginny asked.

"Let's not stick around to find out," said Jayson. He stiffened. Footsteps were approaching from behind him — on their side of the door.

Professor McGonagall walked into view, no doubt coming to investigate. She paused in front of the door. "Mr. Sage, Miss Weasley. What are you two doing?"

"You-Know-Who is after us."

McGonagall didn't question how they knew. "Then go. I managed to convince the Carrows to let me check down here. They are currently at the Ravenclaw Tower."

"Right. Thanks."

They heard McGonagall wish them good luck as they hurried away.

"Ravenclaw Tower? What do you suppose they're there for?" Ginny wondered.