39: The Calm After the Storm

Hoo boy, that last chapter was intense. This one is lighter, though, because we all need it, especially Harry and Moony.

Summary: The wizarding world is conflicted; Harry just wants peace and quiet

Cedric wouldn't take the gold, no matter how much Harry begged him to.

"You won it fair and square," he said.

"No, I didn't. A Death Eater made me win and you know it."

But Cedric still stubbornly refused, and his parents wouldn't accept it if their son didn't, so Harry had no choice but to hang on to it.

It came as no real surprise to Harry that Cornelius Fudge refused to believe Voldemort was back. The wizarding world was still recovering from the war; the peace would be shattered if they knew. That didn't stop Harry from fighting back a stinging remark when Fudge outright snapped he was not going to listen to Harry or a filthy werewolf.

Remus stayed in the hospital wing for the majority of the remaining month of term. Harry made sure to visit him as often as possible, which Madam Pomfrey allowed only because she had a soft spot for Remus.

"She was one of the few who knew about my furry little problem back in school," he told Harry. "She and Albus helped me get to the Whomping Willow."

"I've been meaning to ask you," said Remus a week after the third task. The cuts were healing up, though Harry could see a slight tremor in his hands. "What are you going to do with your winnings?"

"Gave it away," said Harry.

"To who? Cedric?"

"No. Well, I tried to give it to him, but he wouldn't take it. So I kinda... forced Fred and George to."

Remus raised his eyebrows, but there was no real show of astonishment. "Why?"

"I just thought they could use it for their business," Harry said. "We could all use a laugh. I did say they should spend some of it on a new broomstick for Ron. He'd like that, I bet." Besides, they sure as hell weren't getting their money back from Bagman, who had apparently paid them in leprechaun gold back at the World Cup.

Remus nodded. "Not a bad idea. And how's the school treating you?"

Harry shrugged. "I don't think they know what to think."

The students seemed to be divided on who to believe. On one hand, Remus had been severely hurt by something, and despite his lycanthropy, he was loved by most of them. On the other, Voldemort had been declared dead; there was no way he was back. But no matter what side they were on, hardly anyone talked to Harry. In fact, they avoided even looking at him when he was nearby. There were a few who thought he had cheated to win even after all his claims he would not, but that group was so few, and Harry had bigger things to worry about, so he didn't give it much thought.

Harry's friends seemed to have come to an unspoken agreement to more or less act like nothing out of the ordinary had happened. Ron would continuously kick everyone's arse at chess, Hermione fretted over the exams, and Harry, far beyond caring how others would perceive him, could be found laying his head on Ginny's lap. Her hand running through his hair, coupled by Sid rambling about Gila monsters and arguing with Jayson over whether dementors had genders, lulled Harry.

One day, when Harry was attempting to plait Paisley's hair, Tracey came skipping into the common room announcing she and Padma were officially going out together. Ginny's face lit up and she immediately began asking Tracey questions.

"Just out of curiosity," Harry said, tying the hair band at the end of Paisley's plait, "what's with the interest?"

Ginny shrugged, blushing a little. "I think I might like girls, too."