31: We are the Champions

I don't write in accents unless I have no idea what they're saying or I forget to change it when I'm putting in canon lines. Also, I skipped over Dumbledore's speech because it's so freaking looonnng.

Summary: Harry can't wait to hear who the champions are. Until he does.

Somehow, despite the fact that there weren't that many additional students, the Great Hall felt more crowded. Or maybe that was because the Durmstrang students had chosen to sit with the Slytherins. That included Viktor Krum, whose appearance had girls scrambling for quills and lipstick for him to use to sign their hats.

Ron kept glancing at Krum, amazed he was merely a few seats away. Sid seemed to be trying to making an impression by telling Jayson about dragons in a carrying voice. It sort of worked; Krum did ask him in mild curiosity if he was interested in working with dragons once he graduated, but otherwise, he kept to himself.

Without any warning, Ron's fork clattered on the table. He was staring across at the Gryffindor table, where a very pretty girl with silvery-blonde hair was standing. After a moment, she returned to the Ravenclaw table with what looked to be some kind of stew.

Harry looked around. Several Slytherin boys were gawking at the girl. It was as if they had all forgotten about Krum. Even Tracey blinked owlishly after the girl until she snapped out of her stupor and rubbed her neck self-consciously.

Jayson, who apparently wasn't affected, glanced at Sid, to the girl, and back at Sid. "Caimans are lizards that live in Antarctica," he said loudly.

Sid lost his dazed look and swung his head around, glaring at Jayson. "They do not!" He paused. "Shut up."

Jayson sniggered and leaned closer to Harry. "Works every time."

Ron had also snapped out of his trance. "She's a veela!"

"Of course she isn't!" said Hermione tartly.

Judging by the fact that students from all tables were staring, Harry couldn't say he agreed.

Once everyone had had their fill, Dumbledore stood up and introduced Barty Crouch and Ludo Bagman, who would be judges for the tournament alongside the three headmasters. Then on to the Goblet of Fire, a wooden cup filled with dancing blue-white flames.

"To ensure that no underage student yields to temptation," Dumbledore continued, "I will be drawing an Age Line around the Goblet of Fire once it has been placed in the Entrance Hall. Nobody under the age of seventeen will be able to cross this line."

Harry caught a glimpse of Fred and George exchanging looks. He had a feeling they'd take this as a challenge. Ron did say in a letter they considered themselves advanced after successfully getting Remus at the end of the last term.

"One thousand Galleons," Jayson said, almost dreamily. "Sounds lovely."

"If you don't die," Harry pointed out bluntly.

"Yeah." Jayson looked less dreamy at the reminder. He shrugged. "Here's hoping for a Hogwarts champion," he said, earning him a few dirty looks from the nearby Durmstrang students.

Professor Karkaroff came forward. "Back to the ship, then. Viktor, how are you feeling? Did you eat enough? Should I send for some —"

He broke off, staring at Harry. His eyes slid upward to the scar. A few of the Durmstrang students who had not been near enough to see Harry stared at him curiously. One boy with food down his front nudged the girl next to him and muttered something about werewolves in disgust.

Bristling, Harry pushed past and headed for the dungeons.

"They're still treating Remus like shit," he grumbled.