12: His Smile! It Burns!

I'm not sure on the schedule for Slytherin besides the ones they share with Gryffindor. So some bullsh*tting is to be expected.

Summary: Second year starts with a bang. Or more accurately, a crash. And yet somehow that's not the worst thing to occur.

CRASH!

Harry fell back with a yelp, Hedwig screeching somewhere above him. Beside them, Ron was lying on his back with his trolley leaning against Harry's.

"What in the blazes d'you think you're doing?" a guard demanded.

"Lost control," said Harry, righting Hedwig's cage back up. "Why can't we get through?" he wondered.

"I dunno," said Ron, looking around. "We're going to miss the train. I don't understand why the gate sealed itself..."

Harry tried pushing his trolley against the barrier, but it did not budge.

"It's gone." Ron was staring at the clock, stunned. "Now what?"

"Maybe we should wait for your parents."

But no one appeared.

"Any other idea?" Ron said finally.

Harry looked around. His eyes fell on Hedwig. "Yes. Hedwig?"

His owl glared at him reproachfully.

"You know we didn't do that on purpose. Now, listen, I need you to send a message, okay?" He opened his trunk and pulled out a quill and a piece of parchment and wrote down, Ron and I couldn't get through the barrier. We're still at King's Cross.

Hedwig took the parchment and flew off.

"I hope it's not too long," Harry said, watching her go.

"Owls are pretty fast," Ron reassured him. "With any luck, we'll be in time for the feast."

The last students were being Sorted when they arrived, immensely relieved.

It was unfortunate Professor Snape had been the one sent to get them. His lip had curled upon seeing Harry and Ron, but he hadn't made a derisive remark, just connected to a Floo system that was near the train station and had them go through.

"Where have you been?" Hermione demanded as they sat down.

"Long story," said Ron, who was watching Ginny go up to the stool. "Hang on."

Ginny was up for a long moment. Then, to the disbelief of the school, the hat called, "SLYTHERIN."

Malfoy looked like he had swallowed a lemon. He muttered something to Theodore Nott, who curled his lip at Ginny.

Ginny made a face in return as she took the seat between Ron and Hermione. "Thought you would miss the Sorting," she said to Ron.

"So did I. Slytherin?"

Ginny shrugged. "It gave me a choice." She glanced at Harry, who nodded encouragingly.

"Good choice," said Tracey. "Welcome to Slytherin."

Daphne, Jayson, and Sid echoed her words, and even Blaise gave a short nod.

All in all, not the worst day of Harry's life.

The same couldn't exactly be said for the next day, unfortunately. Second-year Slytherins had Defense Against the Dark Arts first thing, which meant they were to endure Lockhart first. And Harry was not happy.

Lockhart's first assignment was a pop quiz, which he handed out with a smile.

Harry looked at the first question and had to bite back a scoff.