Chapter 39

Chapter 39

THE ELITES started encroaching on the town as soon as dawn broke and the early sun arose, and the roads to the center of town became bustling once more. The business owners were hustling and bustling against the booths along the boulevard as if they owned the area, completely oblivious to the poor folks who were barely hanging on.

The poorer people's access points had been reduced to a filthy driveway due to the loud and ruthless automobile traffic. The largest sculpture exhibition in the Empire will be held in the convention center in their neighborhood, which is why the town is bustling.

"Bargain, bargain!"

"Ma'am, jars for you!"

In comparison to other cities, the town is renowned for producing the most exquisite handicrafts; clay pots, gorgeous vases, jars, and bowls line the displays of luxurious goods. Woodcraft and sculptures, however, are the most common product. On tiny table mats beneath the little stalls, beautiful handmade jewelry is displayed. These modest handicrafts are their way of life, despite the fact that everything the wealthy own is cheap.

All around the town, there were screams. From businessmen and wealthy buyers to the impressionable young aristocracy, everyone was preoccupied with their own tasks. The wealthy kids pick up their games and enjoy the market hordes, completely unaware of the anger of the enraged grownups as they bumped against the goods in the stalls.

While the sun is blazing brightly, Brielle perspires a lot, and the sun's rays irritate her skin when they strike her exposed skin. The youngster who is riding in the carriage with her is calmly surveying the area. Lord Araullo said goodbye to Brielle before they arrived to the convention center, where the sculpture exhibit would be set up, so he could meet with other nobility. Brielle then proceeded to the location of their store.

"Mom, I'm going to go around," said Alaric.

Brielle shook her head and said, "You can't. You might get lost."

"No, I won't. I'm big now." Alaric replied.

Brielle sighed. "Please listen to me, okay?"

"Mom—"

Brielle spanked the child's butt. It was not loud and painful though; just a spanking was enough to shut him up. "I said no."

The child stood beside her and said, "All right."

Brielle continued checking on their displays when Alaric yanked her, saying, "Mom, that creepy lady keeps looking at me."

Brielle frowned as she looked around, "What?"

"And now she's looking at you. Stay back, Mom, I'm going to protect you." Alaric said while putting himself in front of her.

Brielle yanked her son again, "Alaric, please stop—"

"Brielle?"

Brielle stopped for a moment when she heard that familiar voice. Someone called her; it sounded so familiar. She'd heard that voice every day before.

"Brielle!" The voice called again.

She finally looked at the person calling her, "Winter...?"

The woman yanked her while sobbing, "Brielle... Brielle, please talk with me, yeah? Listen to me, please... I need you to listen to me."

Brielle tried to get away as she grabbed Alaric and asked, "Why? What's wrong?"

But Winter held her close. "I'm sorry, I'm really sorry."