Chapter 18

Chapter 18

WHILE BRIELLE and Winter were doing some cleaning, a man walked up to her and announced that the Emperor had called. She still feels ashamed about what transpired between them, and she still finds him frightening, but she has a strong instinct telling her to continue doing as the Emperor commands. When she and the wiseman were called, she halted what she was doing and walked to the throne room.

She sighs loudly since she's so anxious. The wiseman next to her remained silent the entire time, as if he weren't there. She can't help but wonder whether there was anything she could have done to offend the Emperor. Did she do him wrong? Is she being disciplined? How did she act? She would have done it by now if she could only cry in front of people.

The servants are cautious when they enter and exit the Emperor's hall because it exudes fear. What the heck will happen to her as some people do not manage to find their way out, some come out bleeding, and some are dead?

Her gait was sluggish. She understood it was improper to interact with the Emperor. She is merely a servant, and he is an emperor who doesn't give a damn, therefore it goes against the dictates of the Empire. She regrets her decision that night to the point of death, yet it happened. She is terrified by the fact that she lacks the ability to defend herself and that she will always lose to the Emperor.

It felt like the clouds were falling on her as her heart was thumping. She can't concentrate, she's drenched in sweat, and she just won't quit sighing. Will she pass away today or tomorrow? A person would be unable to avoid overthinking if they were to stroll toward a perilous precipice. She can't just stop overthinking because she is tripping over dangerous terrain and moving in the direction of the Emperor.

The hall's design is very stunning. Everything looks excellent, including the frames, the floor, and the dated yet lovely walls. But because Brielle is more focused on the life that awaits her on the other side of the wall, she is unable to adore about such things anymore. The wiseman appears to be struggling to concentrate as well; he may be imagining his existence close to the wall.

After the wiseman, she finally mustered up the confidence to enter the throne room. Emperor Massimo was there, strolling by the big windows while appearing exhausted and anxious. Fear, sympathy, and agony pounded through Brielle's heart.

"Emperor," the wiseman called, but Emperor Massimo did not even look at him.

Brielle greeted and bowed, "Your highness, you called for me."

Emperor Massimo immediately walked towards them without any hesitation. He was looking at her, all eyes on her, and she felt like melting.

"You found her—" Emperor Massimo eventually stopped and raised a brow, "So you find her attractive too?"

The wiseman trembled and got to his feet, saying, "Your highness, please calm down!"

Emperor Massimo gnashed his teeth and said, "Leave us."

"Yes, your majesty." The wiseman replied, almost tumbling down while running away.

Now, it's Brielle's turn to tremble. She began shaking silently, and her breathing became rapid as well. She hopes that the Emperor won't notice her quaking by his presence alone or she'll get mocked again. She glanced at the Emperor, but she immediately bowed her head when their eyes met. He was looking at her intently; he couldn't take his eyes off her, and she finds him weird and uncomfortable.

"Your highness," Brielle said. "Why did you call for me?"

The Emperor started walking towards the throne and said, "Walk with me."

Brielle moved slowly after. She could never keep up with his pace because he is the Emperor and she is a servant. She ought to be scurrying around at his feet right now. How did Emperor Massimo fare? He shouldn't behave in this manner, right? Even their closest ally has never been invited to stroll with the Vassilys. And only the heir is allowed to walk in front of them at any time.