Chapter 23

Chapter 23

THE PALACE is busy once again. The Emperor's time is dwindling every day. He has no time to divert his attention to his favorite servant. And since he just punished his favorite girl last night, he can't get her out of his head.

He definitely acted foolishly and irrationally last night. However, that was the side of him he was attempting to hide, and it only surfaces when he's triggered. His captive beast is now awake, and it's becoming risky to watch Brielle with someone else.

Was he snagged by a pretty person?

He once heard the Beast's Tale from his grandfather. No other beast could have a chance against him; he was large and strong. Up until that one stunning young woman arrived and completely upended his world. The beauty, not the people and other beasts, was the one who put him to death.

One woman was the beast's captor, and she was what ultimately killed him. At the same time, it's addictive and risky. He's perplexed. In complete contrast to what he told Magnus, Emperor Massimo seems to be losing control of his sanity. Did he just swallow his own fucking words?

As he gazed inside his enormous palatial hall, he let out a long sigh. Brielle continues to cross his mind. He knew as soon as he mentioned her name that he would no longer be able to restrain his anger. And that evening really pushed him over the edge. The following morning, though, when he learned he had completely terrified her, he wanted to fucking hurt and lash himself. But what was there left for him to do?

Before their relationship unravels, he should probably come up with a plan to make it up to her.

The imperial guard yelled before him entering the hall, "Emperor," saying, "We have discovered another group of assassins prowling around the palace. It is no longer secure."

"It's your responsibility to protect the populace," He scowled, "Then add more sentries to keep an eye out, fill the palace with soldiers, and hire more assassins to capture these freaking bandits from the other empire. By the way, how are you preparing?"

"Everything is prepared, Your Highness."

He groaned and said, "Get ready; tomorrow, we'll launch an attack," as his pointed gaze swept the void.

The guard stumbled when it asked, "A-and what are we going to do with the assassins that were arrested, your highness?"

"Well, what do you think would I do?" glared Emperor Massimo.

"I understand, Your Highness," the guard said and bowed.

"Do your job, go."

***

THE SERVANTS' workload increased as the palace became busier. Brielle is therefore too busy to take care of her health. She shook off the agony in her thighs and continued working. It's incredibly unpleasant; she will always remember yesterday night's events as among the most terrifying ones. She is currently too afraid to behave in front of the Emperor.

But what the heck! It's too embarrassing, she just fainted last night and the Emperor had to send to her to their room. It was just her thighs he had fucked but then it felt like she was ripped into pieces. He kept saying words she couldn't understand anymore, everything was blurry last night. She couldn't understand a thing until she passed out and she woke up lying on her bed peacefully. That man is so cruel!

What would she do then? What needs to be done? What is his goal? He expects her to disregard every male in the palace, right? Yet why? And how would she manage it given that she works in a male-dominated environment? Who is he to restrict her freedom, anyway? Yes, he is her Emperor, but he has no authority to forbid her from communicating with anyone. She undoubtedly intended to say that, but she ultimately succumbs to fear and swallows her pride in order to maintain peace.