Chapter 16 - Candle lit Mist

Kanroji's pink/lime green hair bounced as she skipped towards us, oblivious to the turned up, snobby noses following her. "Hey, you too! What made you come up here, together?" She winked at me, putting emphasis on "together".
"It looks like you might have the answer to that." I darted my eyes past her, to the floor where the man struggled getting to his feet.
She followed my line of vision. "Oh. Hehe, yeah...about that."
She explained to Muichiro and i that while she was just standing around, not doing much, a complete stranger came behind her and hugged her waist. She helped out of surprise and whirled around to be face to face with a half sober man. And even worse, he went the extra mile and essayed to grab her chest. We already know what went down after that.

I looked onward, disgusted. When she had finished, i let her know the reason I had also released myself from my post two floors down.
"Oh, Atsumi that's horrible!" She held her head with wide eyes, them they morphed into a sly expression.
"Muichiro-kun is so strong! Aren't you happy he was there with you?" She urged.
I wanted to deny her intentional attempt at shipping me with the higher ranked boy, but instead, i agreed, "yes, i am."
All of a sudden, my hand began to sweat, and i realized that i was still holding hands with the mist pillar.
I was flustered, but why? It's not like I'm interested in him romantically.
And to make it worse, Mitsuri pointed it out also. "Hey, mind explaining THAT to me?" She queried, rasing her eyebrows.
Feeling embarrassed i slid my hand out of Muichiro's hold.
He gazed down at his empty hand for a good 5 seconds, then sharply in a different direction.

Aw, i hope that didn't offend him, if he even gets offended.

"Hey, Tokito-san," i called to him, but he must not have heard me.
In lieu, the Hashira heeded a sharp wave of terror-filled screams that fell in the entire room, loud and abrupt enough to make everything freeze in place.
Mitsuri and i exchanged a worried look.
"There, in that room," she proclaimed.
We stormed past the shook men and women facing the same door we pursued.
One, though, wore a smile on his face, chuckling as he watched us approach the course of the sounds, but i ignored him and stayed in pursuit.
But before any one of us had reached to open the door, it bursted open. Out staggered the retched beast i sensed, with blood tainted fangs and claws. Beneath it, a woman struggled desperately to free herself.

I grabbed sword, ready to save her, but hesitated. My style of combat wasn't very brute, but not super delicate, either. I could accidently hurt the victim in this situation. They were far too close together for me to miss the human.
But that didn't matter right now.
Things could get 10 times more gory, too gory for the likings of any non-demon killer present.

Author POV

Right as Atsumi was about to take the risk, Muichiro made the first move and struck the demon head on (get it? Haha- sorry). He beheaded the demon flawlessly at the same time as it lunged towards the Leopard breath user who stood the closest. Now it's body lay on the wooden flooring, a pool of blood forming around the neck area.

To add on to the growing havock, mixed in the hard footsteps of the people evacuating the room, Atsumi's ears somehow detected more alarming cries from below them.

The same must be happening down there, too, Atsumi concluded. Without a word she ran to the staircase, leading down where the sound came from.
The to pillars were right on her heals, and they made it just in time to see a now headless demon laying on the floor.
The amount of people had lessened drastically. They all ran for their lives, nudging others out of their way and stumbling down the next set of steps.

"There's more?" Mitsuri asked, wide-eyed.
Atsumi nodded, then launched off the floor, slicing the neck of another demon. "I don't know where they came from!" She exclaimed.