Chapter 30 ~ Acceptance

Muichiro paced around a tree, his mind still on the conversation he had with Sora and Kane. His job was to keep Atsumi safe, but he didn't even know where she was. If he was going to be keeping her from training to fight against Muzan, the least they could do was have some fun in the meantime.
He sighed, gazing at the clouds in the sky. "Where could she be?"
"Why does it matter?" Ginko retorted. Muichiro petted the bird's head. "Because I promised her brother that I would keep her safe. I need to know where she is. Please go find her for me, I have an idea of where she could be at."
The crow grumbled, but took off to search for the girl while Muichiro headed to the Love Hashira's residence. Soon enough, Ginko returned with information. He jogged after while his crow led the way elsewhere than he initially thought. They made it in no time.
There you are. He sighed.
How hadn't he thought of this place before? It had been some time since he and Atsumi were last in each other's company in this meadow. Here she was, sitting by the same rock he found her at the last time. Muichiro's hair bounced as he ran to her, calling her name.
Atsumi snapped her head up and stood when he got closer. "Hi, Tokito-san" She waved at the boy, and he grappled her in a hug when they met. She giggled, Muichiro's face buried in her neck. "Well you seem super happy," she pointed out. "What's up?"
What do I tell her? That her brother didn't trust her enough to be alone?
"I wanted to see you, that's all." That was also true. Atsumi stroked his cheek, flustering him.
"That's nice. Please, sit with me. I need you here right now."
He sat beside her against the rock and could feel her stress. He looked at the sky as he recalled being in this same spot. I was actually happy the last time we were here. She even asked about Yuichiro. Then Giyuu came.
"Is something bothering you?" he concerned.
Atsumi slowly looked at him and sighed. "Yeah, it's my parents. Last night—after you guys stepped out—they started questioning me about my life choices. They even tried convincing me not to train with everyone else!" Her voice was rising along with her emotions. "Do they think I'm weak or something? I get that they're worried about me, but you could at least show some faith in your daughter. Am I right?"
She looked to Muichiro with expectant eyes. He didn't know what to tell her. Should he tell her pleasant lies, or the hurtful truth?
"You are. But so are your parents," he replied.
"What do you mean?"
"I do think that you should be given a chance, but you're not very strong, Atsumi. You know this—your parents know this. We're just trying to–" He cut himself off before saying anymore.
"Who's we? Ugh," Atsumi pinched the bridge of her nose," Did Sora say something to you?"
Shoot, I don't think she's supposed to be aware of this.
"He did. I'm sorry, Atsumi."
"God, what did he tell you?"
"It's nothing bad, he only asked me to keep an eye on you. To make sure that you're safe."
"And? What else?" she demanded. "I know that's not it."
"Fine. He and Kane said the same thing your parents did. But they're only telling you all this because of how much they love you. I mean, half of your siblings are dead, so I can't blame them for not wanting you to continue." He could see the stress still on her body, so he held her hand. Atsumi's pulse in her hand lowered under his touch. "Please relax. You don't have to think too hard about this right now. We have a little bit of time."
Atsumi's expression softened, and she gave his hand a light squeeze. "I guess you're right. Thanks, Tokito-san."
"Of course. And feel free to use my given name. We're friends, aren't we?" He took a quick glance down at their hands.
"We are." She took a deep breath and let it out. "I just wanna relax now."
Hearing that, Muichiro shifted himself closer to the girl and laid his head on her shoulder. "Are you relaxed?" he asked, rubbing his free hand over hers.
Her lips formed a smile. "Yes, very much."

• • •

Laughter and giggles were in the air. The two have been sitting in their spot for maybe half of an hour by now. Muichiro had his head laying in Atsumi's lap. His hair blanketed her legs and the grass
"Do you remember how we were before going to the village?" asked Atsumi, playing with his silky locs. "I don't think we were even friends back then, but we might as well have been."
"Yeah, I remember that." Muichiro leaned his face into her hand. "And that one time we slept with each other in that town?"
Atsumi's jaw dropped. "I'm sorry, what on earth are you talking about?"
"What's wrong?  It was one time, but you were the one who offered."
She was absolutely baffled. "Muichiro, I have no idea what you're talking about. We've never slept with each other. I've never slept with anyone!"
The boy looked puzzled. "You haven't? I find that hard to believe. And anyways, it was that night when you almost died. We went to some inn, but our room only had one bed and chair. I was gonna sleep by myself to give you space, but you said you were okay with it."
Atsumi stared down at him for a second until it dawned on her. She covered his face as she laughed. "Are you serious?"
Muichiro grabbed her hand. "What do you mean?"
"I remember what you're talking about now. When she slept next to each other. Right? That's what you meant? Actually sleeping?"
"Yeah, obviously. What did you think I meant?"
"Well– I thought you meant, you know . . ."
He looked up at her, awaiting an explanation. "I see." He reached his hand up and caressed her cheek. " I mean, did you want that to happen?"
Atsumi was speechless. "I-I . . . Excuse me?"
Muichiro burst out laughing. "I'm kidding, I'm kidding," he said, his laughter sounding reminiscent of a duck. "You thought I was serious?"
"Well I was hoping not. We're way too young for that, and it's not like we're even married."
Muichiro's laughter died down and he held her hand once more. Atsumi shook her head, smiling down at him. She rubbed the crown of his head affectionately.
"I mean, would you ever want to marry me?"
She hesitated. "I'm sorry?"
"I heard from Mitsuri how badly you want love. And I doubt that I'll live for much longer, so it could be nice for both of us if we acted like a couple. Just for a short while. It's not something I ever think about, but if I had to choose, my choice would be you."
Atsumi was so caught off guard and distracted by his words that she didn't even feel her eyes watering. It was sweet, but rather depressing to hear from someone so young.
"Muichiro . . . please don't say that."
The pillar saw her expression and sat up. "What's wrong? Did I upset you?"
"You're so young. Please, don't give up so easily." She sniffled. "You shouldn't even be in a position to say that. You're a wonderful boy, Muichiro. You deserve to have a full life."
He scooted closer and pulled her into his arms. She hugged him tightly while he rubbed the back of her head. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make you sad."
"No, it's okay. Don't be sorry."
Muichiro pulled his head away and looked at Atsumi. Some of her face was damp with tears. They stared at each other and after a few seconds, he wiped away her tears and kissed her on the cheek. It was only a peck, but Atsumi wouldn't admit that it made her heart flutter. The boy took her by surprise with his next move: he kissed her again, and this time, right on the lips. This one lasted two seconds—enough time for them to realize what was going on. Muichiro pulled back and looked at her as if she had done something outlandish. "I . . . I'm sorry. I'll be going. I hope you feel better, bye." He took one last look at her before running away.
Atsumi was now alone. Completely alone. Her heart was still beating fast from what happened.
"Did that really just happen?" She blinked thoughtfully, coming to terms with the truth at last. She didn't want to accept it all this time, but what happened just now forced her to.
What a fool I've been. I understand now. It's you, it's always been you.

Thank you for reading! I hope you all enjoyed it. Please vote and feel free to comment!