Chapter 13 - Live and love

I surprisingly grew tired of our conversation, and started to trace back to what Muichiro and i were discussing.
Tomioka's voice gradually became a background noice as i replayed the moment the mist pillar and i shared.

~Earlier on~

Albeit he hardly jumped in to give his own details, he listened to me as i rambled on and on about some of my craziest expeditions. At least...i think he was listening?

He then asked me, "is your family alive?" A touch of curiosity in his words.
"Yes, thankfully most of them are." The sweet memory of my deceased brothers returned to me.
"Most of them?"
"Yes, most. Two of my brothers were killed by a demon while our parents were on a trip. One of them survived thankfully, but he's had a disabled eye for the last couple years."
What i would like to think was empathy lingered in the "hmmm", that swam thought his throat.
"What about you?"
"Pardon?"
"Your family, your past. How'd you get here?" He thought for a moment, going into the pits of his mind to pull out an answer.
"Hmm, i don't remember any- what are you doing over there?"
That was when he put his attention on the water pillar, who had appeared in a stealthy mannar.

~Now~

It's been close to a week since my last time spent with Mitsuri, so i decided to go and see what she's up to.

Crossing the clearing and on my way to the my friends estate, i heard maybe being called in an excited tone. Turning to the source, the love pillar skipped her way over to me.
"Hi, Atsumi!" A cheery smile stretched on her face as she pulled me in for a hug.
I returned the hug by wrapping my arms around her back.
When we pulled away she started telling all about where she had been for the last two days. I honestly haven't noticed her extended absence, for it was normal for a slayer to be gone for that long.
Her and i held hands as we took a walk to the butterfly mansion to talk, possibly getting a snack while there. When we turned the corner, Muichiro was sitting under the cherry blossom tree. He had his head resting back against the body of the tree, facing upward.

"You know what? Nevermind!"
Confused, i asked why Mitsuri decided to leave after she had brought me here.
She replied, "umm...I have to use the restroom! Yes, that's it."
"Oh, well i can wait if you want." "No!" She exclaimed, "i mean-uhh, I'm going home! So stay here." She got closer to my ear and whispered, "let me know what happens between you two!" Before skipping away.
That girl, i swear.

Feeling obligated, i went to sit with Muichiro. He didn't move away or make any uncomfortable gestures, so i figured he was ok with me.

"Hey," i softly said, as we sat together under the large tree.
"Hello." He looked me in my ocean blue orbs with his lighter ones.
"Mitsuri wants me to be with you for some reason... I hope that's alright with you."
"Hmm," Muichiro let his eyes shut, breathing in cool breaths.

Author POV

Both of them ended up taking a small nap under the leaves. Sundown had arrived when Muichiro woke up. He unfolded his legs and lazily stood.
The rustling of the grass woke Atsumi.
"Tokito-san?" She called.
He looked down at her. "Hm?"
"I'm sorry, did i disturb your peace? Were you busy before I came here?"
He just responded, "No. It's not you, I'm just...tired. Goodbye."
"Ok...see you tomorrow."

Without anyone with her, Atsumi left the estate property and headed for the love pillars home. She was most likely waiting for her anyways.
On her way there, a Kasugai crow flew down to her. Atsumi held out her arm and the bird rested on her wrist.

It notified her of an upcoming mission to Tokyo the next day, where Mitsuri and Muichiro would accompany her.

At Mitsuri's estate (Atsumi POV)

"Arent you excited that Tokito's coming?" She asked, while i just sat across from her sipping tea. "I know you've been wanting to get over to him."

Swallowing the hot beverage, i added, "I suppose. And you're right, i am looking forward him."

Kanrojis mouth gaped open as she gasped dramatically, "do you...like him?!" I asked who she was referring to, and she responded with, "Muichiro! Are you in love with him?"

Now it's my turn to gasp dramatically. "What? No." Of course I denied it, because...why would I be in love with him? He's two years younger than me, distant, and I'm we haven't socialized with each other up until recently.

When I explained this to her she brushed aside my reasons. "Ok, you're right. That may be so..." "Thank you." "...for now," she finished, then broke into a giggling frenzy.
All that i could do was shake my head at her boy crazy tendencies. This girl is hopeless, i swear.

I ended up staying there for many following hours. We discussed random topics, such as our future goals, tasty foods, and of course, relationships.

"It seems like romance has a big part in my life these days. I wonder if I'll ever get married." Mitsuri was quick to jump in, telling me that, "you'll definitely get married! Who wouldn't want to marry you?"

My heart ached from her kindness. She was right, there's someone for everyone. "Thank you, i appreciate it a lot."

There was a moment of silence before I mentioned, "what about you and Iguro, huh? You plan on marrying him any time soon?"
All the blood rushed to her face when I brought up her crush. She was quick to defend herself, frantically blurting out excuses out of embarrassment.

After interrogating one another some more, we realized how late it had gotten. "Guess i should be getting home. See ya tomorrow." We shared a long, tight hug before she showed me out the front door. "Goodbye, Atsumi."
The large amount of fog that has stayed by all day was no longer, evaporated into thin air.

Muichiro POV

I've just finished training for the day and was leaving the training area. I had previously been told by my Kasugai crow that I would have another assignment with Atsumi...and Mitsuri. I feel some type of way about her coming along, but i can't quite put it into words. Out of nowhere my stomach growled, reminding me that i haven't consumes anything today has sent taken much today, so the first thing I had to do was eat.
Hopefully the residents of the butterfly mansion have not consumed all of the food there yet. Worried if my suspicious were true, i picked up the pace.

I was quick enough to make it to the kitchen before anyone else. Cause on the counter, was a half empty tray of tempura. I took the remains and put it in a bowl, then sat at the happily ate all of it until i was satisfied.
Afterwards, i got a book and found myself falling deep in every page.

A few hours later

I spent a good amount of time reading on the back porch, then left the butterfly mansion and this time, headed straight home. No more distractions, i need to go to sleep so I won't be so tired tomorrow.
Once I've changed out of my uniform, i got under the blankets, tucking my legs close to my chest and wrapping my arms around them. After seeing how that leopard cat girl slept at the inn(when she wasn't kicking) i tried it out myself, and realized just how comfy and warm laying curled up in fetal position can be.
My eyelids closed shut, and i soon felt asleep.