Chapter 6 - We're slaying

"CAW!! CAW!!" The aggravating voice of Atsumi's Kasugai crow woke her up of her deep sleep.
She groaned as she sat up. "Ugh. I was having such a nice dream, too." she complained.
"Atsumi!! You and Tokito Muichiro have a mission West from here!! A demon has been wreaking havoc in a town!! You must head over there immediately!!" it yelled before flying away.

Oh no. I need to hurry!

She quickly jumped up out of bed and made it. Once ready she bursted out the front door, sprinting to the exit. Running up the dirt path, her partner was nowhere in sight.

Where is he? Did he get a head start and leave me?

Just after these thoughts, a figure came into view ahead of her looking rather impatient. "About time. Let's go."
She chose to ignore this remark and just follow him.

Dang. For such short legs, he sure is fast.

Atsumi POV

Me and the mist pillar soon made it to the location ,thanks to our annoying crows repeatedly reminding us where heading until we'd finally arrived. After entering the town, a feeling of relief rubbed off of the citizens for our presence.

"Oh thank goodness you're here. Someone to protect us, finally." One woman said. I looked at her and gave her an assuring smile. I walked closer behind Muichiro and lightly tapped his arm.

"Hey, do you think we should stay somewhere until this sun sets?"
He only looked at me for a moment, then shrugged his shoulders. "Fine."
While me and Muichiro investigated some more around town, asked a boy if there was a place to stay around here.
"Yeah, there is. But you can come over to my house instead." He answered flirtatiously.
I gave him a disgusted look before turning away from him. "Ugh. Nasty little freak." I muttered to myself.

"Shut it! Don't talk to girls like that!" A woman suddenly smacked the back of his head. " I'm really sorry about my son. He doesn't know how to respect women." She apologized, bowing her head. "But there is an inn nearby. I can show you if you'd like."
" Umm.." I looked to the boy standing by me to see what he wanted, but he didn't seem to care much so I just accepted. She walked us round with her son, who kept on glancing back at me.
I got fed up with the looks he was giving me and snapped at him. "What? What are you looking at?" Nothing came from him but the same perverted grin.
"C'mon! Stop harassing the young lady! And she has a katana, so stop before she beheads you!" His mother threatened him.
With both me and her glaring at him and Muichiro's blank stare ahead, he dismissed himself. "Hey mom. I'm gonna go buy something. See you later."
"Whatever. Just don't go around bothering women, alright?"
" Yep. Got it." As he left us, he gave me a wink before skipping away.

I swear to God. If he gets eaten by a demon, I won't feel bad at all. If only there were a demon that specifically hunts creeps. I chuckled under my breath at the from thought.

No more than three minutes had passed, and I could feel someone behind me. I checked beging my back a few times, but no one was there. Then out of nowhere, the not so talkative Hashira stoped and smacked what sounded like skin behind me.

"What the?" Looking, I saw the same boy from before! By where his hand was hovering, it seemed that it was reaching for my, uh... Back area.
"What the hell?!"
Muichiro grabbed his forearm and pulled him in. "Back the fuck off you perverted bastard." he said before shoving his chest.
" I can't believe you!! What wrong with you?!" The woman scolded her son and began to choke him, but not to kill him.

At this point, we've made it to the inn, so she greeted us and and wished a successful mission before speedwalking away, dragging the boy by his ear.
The two of us walked inside and up to the front counter. "Hello. How can I help you." The man welcomed us. " Hi. Um, do you want separate rooms? Or do you not mind?" The long-haired boy gave me a dry answer, " I don't really care. One room's fine."
"Ok then. A room for two, please."
"Of course. Right this way." We turned a few corners until we found a room with the number 30. The man unlocked the door and let the two of us inside. "Here you are. If you need something, I'm out front."
"Ok. Thank you. "
I looked around the room. It was small, but a decent size. It contained a cushioned chair, a window with curtains, and a single bed. Wait...

Just one bed? Umm, ok then.

I brushed off the uncomfortable feeling starting to build up and went on to the bathroom. The floor looked very clean.
I then ventured next door, where the Sento was and peeked in through the door. Unluckily a small group of girls passed by. They noticed someone staring and i took off, not looking back.
"Gah! I'm sorry!" I yelled behind my back.

"Ok. That's enough." I said before going to sit on the bed. Muichiro was sitting crosslegged at the foot of the it, so I just placed myself higher up to give him more space in case he wanted to lay down.

I should warn him about my sleeping habit.

"Tokito-san?"
He hummed, asking me what i wanted.
"I thought I should tell you. Umm, I kick in my sleep. Just so you know in case you plan on laying next to me." He shrugged his shoulders. " I'm not going to sleep anyways, so it doesn't matter."
" Ok then. Well, please wake me up when your it's night time."
No response came from him, he just sat there with his back to me.

During my nap, I felt someone poking my arm. This kept going on until I finally woke up. I opened my eyes to see Muichiro starting at me while still poking at me. "Get up. It's night."
Oh wow. I'm surprised he remembered.

We left the room and went back into town. Hardly any street lights were lit, making it rather dark. The two of us snuck around for a bit, waiting to for any signs of a demon.
"So they decide to not show up when we're here. Of course." I said.
In the midst of this silence, a terrified noise was heard not far from where we stood. Without even thinking, we sprinted that way, and soon found the source. In an alley, there a demon stood over a man while pinning him on the ground. I could see the horror in his eyes as he looked to us in relief.

"A- please! Help me!" He pleased. But before i even took stance, the young pillar had already made his way over to the demon, and wasted no time beheading it. It stood there stunned, as it's head slowly slid off of the neck and onto the ground.

I had not time to react to anything and just stood there dumbfounded.

"How did-" I shook off what i was about to say and helped the man to his feet, asking if he was ok.

"I'm fine. Thank you so much."

"Why were you even outside at this time. You knew what the outcome might be, so why risk it?" Muichiro criticized his choice of timing.

" Y-yeah, i know. I just got off work, and that thing dragged into that alleyway." He explained.
" Well, be very careful from now on, kay?"
"Yes . Definitely." He then thanked us again and hurried on home.
Well, I didn't do anything at all, Muichiro was the one who killed that demonic creature. Oh well, at least it's done.

We decided to spend the night at the inn and leave tomorrow morning.
I was pretty awkward about sharing a bed with someone, but he didn't seem to care and just laid down on one side.

Y'know what? He's kinda chill, so I don't think he'll make it a big deal.

So I slid under the blanket and tried not to touch him. But then i remembered...
"In case you forgot," i started.
He turned halfway over, looking at me "What."
"Umm, sorry in advance if I end up kicking you.." Without saying a word he got out of bed and went over to the only chair in the room.
I watched as he tried to make himself comfortable. "Are you really gonna sleep in that chair? I can get another room if you-"
" no. It's fine."
"..Ok. are you sure?"
He nodded, "stay there. It would be wrong to share a bed with someone I'm not married to."
He made a good point, and I appreciate him being this respectful. So I thanked him and got comfy.

"Goodnight."

Not expecting any response, I let my head sink into the soft pillow and closed my eyes.

"Goodnight."