Chapter 32 ~ Is This What It Feels Like?

Miyu and Isui were definitely picking up the uncomfortable energy from their daughter the next morning. She took forever to come out of her bedroom, and even longer to show herself when the Mist Pillar arrived at their house.
She sat in the corner with her face in her hands, pleading with her parents not to give away her position.
"Sweetie, I don't get it," said her mom with a worried tone.  "Did something happen between you two?" Her face became more serious. "Did he do something?"
"No! No, mom, he didn't do anything wrong. It's me."
"Okay, so what did you do?"
Atsumi went back to hiding her face. "I'd rather not."
The last block in the tower of her plan to stay inside was pulled out and the whole thing came crumbling down. Her dad approaches her with the boy of the hour right behind him. He peaked around Isui and waved.
"Hey. Is something wrong?"
Atsumi replaces her exhausted expression and looks up at him. "Nope. Not at all. What's up?"
Muichiro invited her to his estate, as she expected. So she looks to her parents for help.
Miyu clears her throat. "Um, dear, Atsumi isn't feeling well today. We think it's best if she stays home for a bit to recuperate."
"Dang, are you sick?" He asked. He crouched beside Atsumi and felt her forehead. "You feel fine though. Are you nauseous?"
"Muichiro, I think you should–"
"No, dad. It's fine," Atsumi interrupted. "I mean it, okay? You can stay here if you want."
"Nice!"
Her parents gave her concerned looks; she signaled to them with her eyes that there was nothing to worry about.
So much for staying at home to avoid him.

Being alone in her bedroom with a boy would normally make her feel uneasy, but not so much with Muichiro—which is surprising considering that they claim to be friends but have both kissed the other. Atsumi assumed that he'd come over to confront her about the kiss, but all he did was offer to get her tea—which she politely declined—as they sat against the side of her bed.
They started talking about the past. Back when they weren't exactly friends, but we're casual enough to converse occasionally. This brought back a memory for Atsumi. She mentioned the time she had set a "goal" for herself to try befriending Muichiro, which she'd completely forgotten about until recently.
"Really? Was I that interesting to you?" the young pillar asked.
"I guess so." Atsumi sighed a laugh. "Isn't it crazy? Just a couple months ago you couldn't even remember my name, and now we're sitting in my bedroom talking like we've been friends for years?"
"Yeah, it is. Even crazier when you acknowledge that we . . ." He paused and shook his head. "Nevermind."
What? Acknowledge that we've kissed? "You sure?" Why would you egg him on, fool?!
He nods and goes on criticizing his past self for his old attitude and demeanor. Atsumi can't keep herself from analyzing his movements and gestures, eyeing the motions of his mouth. His lips are sort of dry-looking, but that doesn't matter. Were they that dry when he kissed her?
Without warning, she brings her fingers under his chin and guides his head to face her. He stops mid sentence and stares at her.
"What are you doing?" he whispered.
"Do you want me to tie your hair back? I think it'd look nice."
He pondered for a minute, then agreed. Atsumi got up and retrieved a scrunchy from her windowsill, then sat back down with Muichiro. He turned his body to her. Their eyes locked as she gathered the hair and put it up in a loose bun, fingers gliding over his neck as her hands came down from his head. Again, they were getting lost in each other's eyes. Muichiro suddenly whipped his head away and sneezed, breaking the moment. And a good thing he did, cause they most likely would've had a repeat.
After whiling his nose, he asked, "Does it look good?"
Atsumi cleared her throat. "Yeah, it's cute. You're cute," she teased.
Muichiro hid his face in his knees bashfully. "Thanks."
He rose from the floor and laid across the foot of Atsumi's bed, explaining that his but was starting to get sore sitting on the wooden floor. Neither of them spoke for some time. But eventually, Muichiro sprang off the bed and in front of Atsumi. She was baffled.
"It's too quiet in here, we should go out. Just the two of us."
"You make it sound like we aren't always together."
Muichiro shrugged his shoulders. "Hm, I guess. You hungry?"
“I guess I am.”
"Me too. Let's go somewhere." He stuck his hand out to help her up. After getting her on her feet, he leads them out of the room and down the hallway
Atsumi's face was getting warm again, and her heart rate increased. "Are you gonna hold it the whole time?"
"I sure am. Why not?" The boy's words had a facetious hint in them, a smug grin on his face. "This is just some totally platonic hand holding."
"Right . . ."