Chapter 25 - Visions

"It's such a beautiful day today," said Atsumi. She took a bite of her ice cream Taiyaki, the cool vanilla melting on her tongue.
Her legs swung to and fro while she sat on the bench with Mitsuri, who was mimicking her movements.

The pond in front of them sparkled under the sun's light, and she could see ducks swimming together across the water.

Water... Atsumi wondered couldn't get last night out of her mind long enough before being reminded once again. But she just shrugged her shoulders, not paying any mind to Sora's passive aggressiveness.

A couple passed the girls, and Atsumi heard Mitsuri sigh dramatically. "Oh, Atsumi. I wish I had a husband," she said.

Atsumi laughed. "I know. Well, whoever he is, wherever he is, I'm sure he feels the same way."

"You two young ladies want to know about life, is it?"

They were startled by the voice the came from behind them.

"What the-" Atsumi jumped and faced the woman standing behind the bench. "How long have you been standing there?"

"Ah, my apologies," said the strange lady. " I was just passing by when i heard a question of future come up. I could tell you about your romantic paths...if you'd like."

Still baffled by the sudden intrusion, Atsumi had to process her proposal.

The Love Pillar gasped. "Wait, are you a fortune teller?"

The woman gave a low giggle. "Why, yes. Indeed I am, young miss. I've always had quite the gift. If you come along with me, i can tell you anything you'd like to know about your futures."

Atsumi shifted hesitantly. The woman tucked some hair behind her ear, trying to charm them into agreement.

Mitsuri seemed all for it. "Atsumi, we need to try this out! I've always wanted us to do something like this together."

"I don't know," said Atsumi. "You don't...look like a fortune teller."

The woman placed her hand on her chest, mouth agape . "My, young Miss. Judging based off of appearance, are we?"

"What? No, no. We just-"

"We'll come!" Mitsuri declared.

"What? Mitsuri, we don't know this woman. Are you sure?"

"Yes, yes, I'm sure. Come on, it'll be so much fun."

She knew at this point that there was no way out of this, so she accepted her involuntary agreement and went with Mitsuri and the stranger to her house.

• • •

Instead of bringing them inside her house like Atsumi thought she would, the stranger led the girls to her backyard through a gate on the side of her house. Back there, there was nothing out of the ordinary. Nothing that screamed, "wacko foreseer", or, "look at me! I can speak to the dead!"

"Welcome, young ladies," she said. She sat on one end of a small pond in the center of the yard and had them sit opposite of her.

This is different, Atsumi thought. She noticed the two koi fish swimming around in the shining water.

"So tell me," Haneka started. "What is it that you two wish to know."

"Umm." Atsumi looked at Mitsuri, who looked ready to burst with anticipation. "Okay. I guess what we want to know is who we'll marry in the future."

"The very near future," Mitsuri added.

Haneka hummed. "Wonderful choice." She placed her hands in the pond, feeling over the pebbles at the bottom of the water. The slow swishing motions attracted the koi fish, and began swimming in circles around her wrists, creating a mini whirlpool. After a few more seconds of this, the fish swam away and she opened her eyes.