Chapter 9 - Running on empty

My legs dangled in the cool, widespread body of water. A flock of birds soared high up in the bright sky.
I was in a relaxed mood, waiting for my loud, feathery companion to give me an assignment, but suddenly remembered the previous nightmare I'd had. This reoccurring dream I've been having for years had reappeared to haunt me last night. But for some reason, it only happens twice a month.

There might be a sun shower later. I'll be looking forward to that.

As I sat by the edge of the grass, recalled the last time I've seen Muichiro. Has it been...two days? He's very powerful, so I'm sure there's no problem.
An image of the Hashira then came into mind.

What an incredible child. I wonder who his parents are.

It's been a mystery of mine lately. His background, his family, and what led up to his current success at such a young age. I've known him for some time, and I still don't know many facts about him.
After a few more minutes, I stepped out of the water and began a walk and eventually ended up by the entrance to the headquarters.
Just then a short figure strolled through the front gates. I lifted my eyes, and wouldn't you believe it. In walked the mist Hashira himself.

"Oh, there he is." His tired, lost eyes hadn't even noticed me as I approached him.
"Your back. How was it?" I asked.
He tilted his head to the side in confusion, as if he didn't know what i meant. "What?"
"Your mission. How was it?" I repeated.
"Oh yeah, that. It was fine."
That answer was enough for me.
I'm already aware of how forgetful he is. I actually think it's pretty cute when he forgets things that happened only a few days ago.
As he began walking away, two black birds flew overhead.

Oh God. I prepared for their yelling.

"CAW!! CAW!!" One landed on my shoulder, and the other on Muichiro's. Each gave us the same instructions.

"You are needed urgently! In a large town, up North! CAW!!"
I pet my crow while shaking my head, wondering, "If you're on my shoulder then why is there a need to yell?"

Time skip

"Wow. They were right."
I was astonished by the amount of people in the streets. Everyone was very well dresses and looked wealthy. But I can't say that I'm new to this. I grew up in a place with a lot of people dressing in this sort of attire, just not as big of a population.

My legs started drawing me into the crowd after Muichiro. Thank goodness it wasn't such a packed space. Everybody was separated nice and evenly, giving all plenty of room to breath.
After aimlessly carrying ourselves around for a bit, I tapped my partner's back. His emotionless face turned to face me.
"What should we do until the moon rises?" i asked.
"We only came here to kill. What else is there?" This boy really just hit me back with another question.
"Well," looking for something, anything to keep is busy, I figured it would be interesting to spend some time with him.
"We can talk. Or...look at the clouds. I see you doing that a lot."

He sighed and shrugged his shoulders, and we set off to find a good spot to sit and gaze at the fluffy white shapes. He and I managed to find a big hill with trees scattered upon it.
There's a decent sized tree with a lot of leaves, providing plenty of shade under it. I sat down in the green grass and presses my back against it's trunk.

Will he sit next to me? I don't know how he feels about being close to someone.

My thoughts were once again proved wrong as he sat beside me, as well as I did resting his body against the thick tree stump.

Guess I was wrong.

Only now did I notice how the weather has changed since this morning.
"It's nice out today, don't you think?"