Chapter 8 - Leopard in the night

After being tortured some more- I mean, finishing the bowl of fruit, they sat there in the silence of Atsumi's home.
Then Giyuu spoke. "Atsumi?"

She picked her head up. "Yes, Giyuu-san?"

He paused for a moment before asking. "Do you like me?"

She looked at him dumbfounded. "Y-yeah. Of course I like you. Why? "

oh God. What does he mean by 'like'? Does he know I 'like' him? Is it obvious?!

He looked her in the eyes, his black hair covering his face. "Ok, then. I was just wondering."
The room fell silent, and in her head this seemed like one of those perfect moments to confess to your crush.
The atmosphere had set itself just right, they've just shared something delicious with each other. Atsumi could spill her emotions out in front of him, right here, right now.
Giyuu's hand is rested by his leg. Atsumi's hand slowly made its way to his, but before they could make contact something interrupted.

"CAW!! Atsumi!! You have a mission Southeast from here!! CAW!! " Atsumi's crow announced.

Curse you, annoying bird.

Giyuu looked to the window and stood up. "I should go. Have a safe journey."

Atsumi watched as he made way for the door, devastated that she couldn't say what she wanted to. But nonetheless, she thanked him for the wishes and left her house.

The travel took some time, but eventually she made it there.
"What the-" she was too stunned to even form the words in my head.

The place...really had been ransacked. It felt like a ghost town, there being hardly any people in sight.
Atsumi knocked on one house that didn't appear completely destroyed, and waited. And waited some more.

"Um, hello? Is someone in there?"

After a few more minutes, the somebody finally answered. A scared looking woman cracked it open, so little she could barely see her face.

"Who ar-" The lady looked at her uniform under her Haori and she could see her eyes brighten. "Wait, are you a Samurai?" She asked.

"Uhh, yeah." She wasn't too far off. "I'm here to help you. " Her words of comfort seemed to ease her nerves a bit.
"So, a-are you going to kill the demon? You are, right?" The woman's voice cracked as she spoke.

Atsumi nodded. " Yes. It's my job to protect people. I suggest staying inside until tomorrow when I'm done, ok?"

" Of course I will. Many of us haven't left their house for the last three days. You don't have to worry about that."

The door closed, and now all she had to do was wait for the sun to set. It felt as though the earth had purposely slowed down it's rotation just to bother her.

Oh so NOW you spin 1 mile per hour, huh? Nice

• • •

The cold wind blew all around me, and the smell of dusk traveled up my nose. My eyes flared in the light of the moon that has risen higher once the sun lowered.
I don't know how many, but I for sure know that I will rid this town of these horrid monsters.
My legs felt numb after standing for the the first time in hours, but after giving them a little shake I leaped from rooftop to rooftop in search of any demons on the prowl.
With the wind blowing under my Haori, my while body felt very light.

And then, something caught my eye.

There. I see you.

A gross looking once-human being crawled its way out of the woods and towards the houses. Thanks to some special training with Shinobu, the beast had no idea I was nearing it. I was as light as a butterfly.

As long as I'm here, you're not gonna be eating anyone tonight. Nobody else will be slaughtered by your kind.

Author POV

Atsumi gracefully flew down and decapitated the demon, the impact sending it's head flying. She watched as it's entire body turned to nothing but mere dust until even that had disappeared.
Atsumi let out a sigh.
"I'm sure there are more of you. I just need to find them." She was then back on the hunt.
In mid jump, she heard a woman's scream come from below her. Now on the ground, she sprinted to where the sound came from. As Atsumi turned a corner, she came face to face with a dreaded scene at a dead end.
She steadied herself into the first form of her Leopard breath, and the woman gagged a cry of terror as the demon has grabbed her neck.

"Leopard breathing. first form: black slash."
Atsumi leaped forward and with one sharp swing of her sword, the demon's head was cut. But it took a moment for it to fall off the shoulders. She and the frightened lady looked down at the corps and watched the dust fade into nothing.

Atsumi POV

A sigh of satisfaction left my mouth. I looked to the woman still sitting on the ground and saw how pale her face was.
"Oh! I'm sorry. Are you ok?"
She shook her noggin, waving her hands at me. "Thank you so much! You saved my life."
Before even standing she bowed down to me.
" Please, there's no need. I'm glad to have helped you."
I walked her home and told her to stay inside until tomorrow. The rest of the night consisted of me finding and killing demons, although there were surprisingly not a lot.

On the way home, I looked up at the starry midnight sky. My eyes glimmering in fascination. It's not like this is my first time seeing stars, I just get so easily captivated by them. I mean, who wouldn't?

The breeze continued to engulf me, as I frequently glanced upward to cast sight of the small balls of fire far, far away into space.

I've finally survived the night and made it to my house near the Wistiria mansion. My tired legs dragged the rest of my body upstairs and I plopped right onto my bed.

Uuuugh. I have to change.

Relentlessly, I forced myself to take off my Haori and uniform, then slid on my night clothes and under my blanket. The night has gotten cooler than when I ran my way here.

A long yawn escaped my mouth. As the wind chimes out my window rattled majestic tunes, and owls whoing. These noises, plus the shaking of the leaves calmed, my body right into slumber.