Chapter 22 - House of Tsubashi {Part 3}

The demon hunters flew down the hallway after the host, who held Kuragi in his arms as he tried to make a break for it. When they got to the kitchen, every chef in there faced them, bloodthirsty red eyes and vicious claws.

"Have fun!" The demon host taunted.

Atsumi didn't slow down. She hated the idea of killing the ones she worked with, but they were no longer human now. They had to be killed.

It didn't take long for her and Muichiro finish them all off. But when they ran out of the kitchen and into the dining hall, the demon was nowhere to be found. Only the dim glow of the moon illuminated the room through the sheer curtains, but it barely made a difference.

"Shit," Muichiro muttered to himself. "Why's it so damn dark in here?"

Atsumi narrowed her eyes, trying to find movement amongst the tables and chairs. That's when they heard the creek of a table, and the muffled whimper of Kuragi.

Not sure if the demon could see her or not, Atsumi stood on top of the nearest table." It may be hard to see you," she started, "but we can sure as hell hear you."

She heard his sinister giggle, and was then able to see the humanoid form on the other side of the room. Though in the shadows, the red glow of his eyes gave away his position.

Atsumi leaped from the table she stood on, focusing on her breathing. "Leopard breathing, 1st form: Black slash."

While she ran over the tables with her sword drawn back, Muichiro went head on. With the demon in close range she went for the neck, but then he pulled the worst move possible. He lifted Kuragi up, using her as a shield.
Thank god Atsumi's reflexes we're sharp enough to dodge her. She got right back in position, while Muichiro went in to attack from above. He managed to get a few scratches on him, and Atsumi had cut one of his hands off.

"Ahh, i wouldn't do that if i were you," the host said in a low, taunting voice.

I ignored his remark and kept trying to cut his head off, trying to stay out of the Mist Pillar's way.

The demon was getting mad as he bounced around the room, from one wall to the next. "Not gonna take my advise? Alright, then let's see how you react to this."

My teeth gritted in annoyance. The guy just wouldn't shut up! "Just be quiet and let me kill you," i grumbled menacingly.

"Haha, oh you humor me. If anything, might have you've killed yourself." He looked right into my eyes and smiled. "Tell me, have you had dinner today?" he asked.

"Yeah, so what?"

"Well," he chuckled," what exactly did you eat? Do you even know what you've consumed?" Even with blood dripping from his arms that held my friend, words still kept spewing from his dirty mouth.

"What are you even talking about?" i demanded. Then my heart leaped to my throat.

That Udon... those body parts in that room... ShitHow could she have forgotten?! That soup had "beef" in it, but was it even beef? Did i really eat...human meat?

She felt sick to her stomach, and her vision started to blur. But rather then losing momentum, she got an even greater determination to killed this sick, vial monster.

With a new rage building up inside her, as well as a sickened feeling, Atsumi tried to mach up her attempts with the Mist Pillar's, who was doing much better than her.

But then the demon host made a threat. "If either of you touch me, I'll kill this girl," he said, holding Kuragi's throat. "Or better yet, I'll turn her into a demon!" He howled in laughter.

Atsumi wasn't sure if he was bluffing or not. It's not like he has the time to do all of that during a battle. Either way, his attempt at faltering her flow of combat worked. She looked at the Mist Pillar, but he was too focused on their target to give her glance.

Atsumi shook her head. Focus! I can't let his words stop me. I'll have to find a way to both kill him and save her friend.

Atsumi turned back to the demon, and made eye contact with Kuragi. There was no other option, she had to sacrifice her life in order to kill the demon. "I'm sorry, Mayo-chan," she muttered to myself before the Mist Pillar and her both attacked the demon at the same time. And as promised, the host slit Kuragi's throat. Blood splurging from her neck, her body collapsed to the floor.

Atsumi winced. It had been done. Yet another life had been taken by a demon.
She moved much more freely and accurately with Kuragi no longer an obstacle. Though she wanted to avenge her friend's life, Muichiro was the one who decapitated the demon. It was a very swift, clean movement.

Atsumi walked up to the headless body that was already turning to dust. "That could've been shorter." She wiped some of the blood off her sword and put it away.

After giving a disgusted look at the demon's remains, she went and kneeled by Kuragi's body. A deep gash was on her throat, blood still leaking from her neck, having created a puddle by her head.

Atsumi couldn't stand the sight. Her vision blurred with tears, body twitching as she weeped over the corpse.

She was almost too distracted by her own grief to hear the Mist pillar approach her from behind. "Your friend's dead," he stated. "If i were you, instead of sitting in front of a dead body, I'd at least try to throw up that food you ate. Unless you want to remain a cannibal."

Atsumi stopped crying. "Y-you're right," she sniffled," absolutely not."

Whipping her nose, she got up and stumbled her way outside. She stuck two fingers down her throat, trying her hardest to make something come up, but nothing did. "Ugh, c'mon. How hard is it to vomit?" Her eyes tested up even more from the excessive gagging.

The door pushed open behind her. "Turn around."

"Huh?" Out of nowhere, Muichiro grabbed Atsumi's head and shoved his fingers in her mouth, practically reaching for her uvula.

The force of his fingers swishing around the back of her throat caused her to gag roughly. When she did through up, Muichiro pulled his hand out at the right moment and just watched the food come up and spill on the ground.

It only lasted for about ten seconds. "T...thanks...i guess," Atsumi coughed, wiping her mouth. "You didn't have to be so rough, though..." Her words came close to a whisper.

"I was rough?"

Atsumi shook her head. She couldn't tell if he was being sarcastic or not. "Nevermind." Something landed on Atsumi's head, and she realized it was a crow. It gave informed her of a new mission. After saying good bye to Muichiro, she took one last look at Kuragi's body before running off to the location given. "May you rest in eternal peace."

I hope i grossed you out 🙂