Chapter 12 - Autumn goals

That night, Atsumi dreamt of the wonderful flame Hashira
"I love you, Atsumi," is what he told her.
His hand slowly reached to her face, cupping her cheek. She looked into his lava eyes, of which put her in a loving trance.
He leaned his head over to meet with hers. Their lips were only inches apart from contact, then....

Atsumi awoke from the lovely dream, upset that it came to an end.
After she had gotten out from under the blanket the her stomach growled, signalling that it was time to eat.
After going to get a small bite from the butterfly estate, she hummed a tune with the sound of the garden stones crunching under her feet, in search of a peaceful, quiet spot to sit while the food digest.
She then think back to the night before. Muichiro asked for her name, and she gave it to him. They even shared food together.
As dried out orange leaves glided through the air, a thought came knocking on her noggin. For some time now, she's built close relationships with all of the Hashira. Gyomei, Uzui and his wives, even Sanemi. Muichiro is the only one whom she's yet to build a friendship with.

That's it! I have a mission!...other than my actual missions.

Atsumi set off in search of the Mist Pillar. Of course, there was a big chance that he'd be doing his job right now, so she went around and asked a few people of they'd seen him today.

"Why, yes." Gyomei spoke. " He came by to meditate with me, he's out back right now with the cats." Atsumi had found his estate and asked for the boy's whereabouts.

"Really? Well, thank you. Have a nice day. "
" You as well. "

She kept both ears open as she approached the back of Gyomei's home, where stray felines would often roam. When she turned the corner the young boy she'd been thinking of was there, squatting on the pavement, cats rubbing against him.

"Um...hello?" Atsumi called bashfully from a few yards away.

Muichiro raised his head, their eyes meeting. And in a mildly confused, "Oh– Hi. Whats your name, again?"

"Takahashi Atsumi. Do you, um.. can I join you?" Worries of rejection creeping in her throat as the words came out.

But thankfully, he just nodded. "fine. It's not my property, anyway."

Atsumi sat down in the same position as he was in, staying a couple of feet away from him. Two cats patted up to Muichiro and their heads collided with his wrists, his arms hanging over his knees lending them contact.
The three of them swarmed around him for a bit, loving the attention they were receiving. Then, one of the cats made eye contact with Atsumi. It meowed in a greeting sort of way, and trotted over to her.

"Aw. Hey there, beautiful," she lovingly said to the small mammal. " I didn't know you liked cats. Have you ever had one?"

He pondered for a brief moment. "Possibly. I can't remember."

How could I forget he has memory loss? I'm such a clown.

"But yes," he went on, " I do like them. They're not as annoying as some other animals."

Perhaps her eyes were deceiving her, but she could've sworn his mouth formed into a small smile.
"What about you?"

Not knowing what he was refuring to, she stammered, "huh? What about me?"

He pointed towards the creature with his eyes, and she understood the question.
"Oh! Well, sadly, no. We never had one growing up. But at least there some around here I get to see."
He hummed and he nodded.

Muichiro POV

The girl drew her focus away from the cats around and smiled at me. "Have you eaten yet?" She asked.

I shook my head. Guess I forgot I was even hungry in the first place.

" Wanna get some food?" She offered.

"...Alright."

We both stood up, only for a strange feeling of discomfort to shoot through my legs. We've been in that tight position for so long and cut off our blood circulation.
After stretching a little we left the stone pillars home, greeting him on the way out.

Author's POV

The black haired Hashira had just returned from a mission, and had been thinking about his only friend the whole way back.

I want to see her.

Giyuu checked Atsumi's estate in hopes of her being there, but left in disappointment.
Stepping out into the opening, he spotted Gyomei at a distance on the pathway.
He called after the tall man once caught up.

"Ah, hello, Tomioka. What is it?"

Looking around, he asked, "do you know where Atsumi is?"

"What a coincidence, she and Muichiro just left my house together. "

Together? Since when does that boy hang out with anyone?

" Ok, thank you very much."

Ugh. I was hoping we could be alone, but it sounds like he might be with her.

After searching some more, he realized there was only one more place she could be.
His patience was well paid off when he found her crouching on top of a boulder, in the big open field she loves so much.

Just as expected.

There she was, looking as beautiful as ever, her hair flowing in the autumn breeze. Under her, sitting in the damp grass, was the mist pillar. Both their heads facing the midnight sky.

Atsumi POV

Who knew such a quiet, Intimidating boy could be so talkative?

I was first to share with him how I ended up here, as a member of the demon slayer corps. When asking if Muichiro would mind sharing his tale, she was ready for a short answer.

"Hm, I don't remember anything. I thing i had- what are you doing over there?
The random change of subject confused me.

"Huh? Oh! Tomioka, hey!" I waved happily at my moody friend.
He reluctantly stepped onward and stopped in front of my perch.
He shifted his eyes between me and the boy on the ground.
"How have you been?" He asked. " I've been looking for you."
"Really? Sorry, we were having a conversation." Giyuu side eyed the younger Hashira, his brows furrowed.

What's that look, Giyuu? You don't like him?"

But his features softened  when he asked, "may I join you?"
I smiled happily and gestured for him to sit beside me.

Author POV

As opposed to going home, the young man chose to stay. He conversated with the Leopard breath user, enjoying the calm weather.

Moments later, Muichiro rose from his comforting spot in front of the boulder and began leaving.

"Aw, you're leaving?" Atsumi asked.

"Yes. I have no reason to stay here."

" Oh...ok then, bye. "
"... Bye. "

I watched as he walked off into the night.

Hazza! Another chapter down