Chapter 18 - Rain training

The three's expedition came to an end after two days. It was getting late, and the orange hue of the sun was now shelled as dark clouds began to form, indicating an oncoming rainstorm.

The Mist pillar almost didn't hear Atsumi when she said goodbye to him and Mitsuri; he stood there staring through space, mouth slightly ajar.
"Bye, Atsumi!" the Love pillar called.
She then turned to say something to Muichiro, but the young boy had already began walking away.

After ambling aimlessly down a random path for a bit, he came across a lake- the same lake Atsumi would sometimes use to bathe in. But he didn't know that.
Muichiro then realized that he hadn't taken a bath before they left Tokyo.
Watching the water shift under the dim, clouded daylight, he considered washing up right here, right now. No one was there, and the only living thing that would possibly see him were fish and birds.
Looking all around him to make sure no one was nearby, Muichiro began to unclothe, goosebumps arising at the feeling of the cold air. After one last glance at his surroundings, he gingerly submerged his body in the water, holding onto the wall of land to make sure it was shallow enough. It was cool at first, but he soon got used to the feeling. It soothed his skin, and with his hair not tied up, it drooped down into the water.
The boy sat there in silence, only the frequent quacking of ducks in the distance disturbing it. And it was only a matter of time before random thoughts started to float around in his head.
He traced back to early this morning, when he awoke and felt Takahashi huddled up against him. He chose to pay it no mind in the moment, but his heartbeat quickened due to the closeness.
Muichiro sighed and sunk deeper in the lake, only his head poking above the surface. He closed his eyes and took in slow, chilled breaths (due to the cold water).

Atsumi POV

Yes, i know it was hours ago, and there a good chance he doesn't even care, but...i can stop feeling embarrassed for what happened.

"Whatever," i muttered to myself. "I need to stop thinking about it."
I had been so distracted by my own troubling thoughts that i hadn't even taken notice of the footsteps approaching me.
From behind, a voice called out from behind, "oi! Atsumi-san!"
I turned around and saw the Flame pillar, Rengoku, making his way up to me.
He wore they same bright smile he always did as he greeted me. "Atsumi-san, it's great to see you."
I smiled back, relieved to have my head cleared. "Hey, Rengoku-san. It's good to see you, also."
"How was your mission?" he asked. "I haven't seen Muichiro-san."
"Really? I'm not surprised. Anyways, the mission went ok," i answered.
Kyojuro tilted his head and asked, "just ok?"
"Well, um...ok. There was a fire, but besides that, all went well."
I didn't want to say a whole lot about what happened. I was still a little too tired for holding a long conversation.
He seemed to understand. "If you say so. See you around, Atsumi-san." He waved as he set off in the direction of his estate. I waved in return and headed for the butterfly estate.
When Muichiro and I saved the last woman from the fire a couple nights ago, smoke had gotten into my lungs; more than i would like. My adrenaline must've kept me from noticing it until now; now there was an irritating soreness itching at my throat.

"Shinobu-san?" i called through the halls of the butterfly mansion.
Instead of the insect pillar, Aoi appeared before me, asking what i wanted. "I was looking for Shinobu. Is she here?" i asked.
The young girl scoffed. "Yeah, she's here. But she's busy with some stubborn patient who won't take their damn medicine," she grumpily replied. "What do you need from her?"
I told her about my sore throat and she led me to an unoccupied room.
"Drink this," Aoi ordered, handing me a cup with a questionable-looking juice inside.
I hesitantly took it. "Uh...thanks."
After drinking the medicine, i went to take my leave. But one look out of the window and i could see buckets of rain were pouring down on the pebbled ground.
I sighed, knowing i would have to wait this one out, and sat down on the edge of the bed. But before settling down, my stomach rumbled, and so i headed to the kitchen for something to eat. I passed by a few demon slayers on the way, some of which were as wet as i would've been if i had chosen to leave in this weather.
In the kitchen i saw Kocho, as well as two of the little girls that helped out at the butterfly mansion, gathering food together.
"Who's that for?" i asked, hoping some would be for me.
One of the girls replied that it was for some of the wounded lower ranks. "Would you like some?" Kocho offered. She gestured to a bowl of Tempura on the counter.
"Yes, thank you, i replied."
I took the bowl off the counter and set it down on the table, while they left to bring the patients there food.
Once they'd gone, i hungrily ate away. After finishing I returned to the bedroom, and was glad to see that no one had claimed the room while i was gone, dreading the idea of having to run home in this violent weather to get to my own quarters.
A tiny knock came on the door.
"Come in," i said.
The door slid open, revealing one of the little girls that served the mansion's patients.
"Here you are, Takahashi-san," said the dotted-eyed child.
She placed down some nightclothes, then bowed to me before leaving the room. I could hear the patterning of her feet down down the hall as i stood up to change.
Getting nice and cozy, i snuggled under the blanket and fell sound asleep.

When I awoke, instead of a pale morning light streaming into the room through the windows, i was greeted by rain upon rain, beating the wall beside by bed.
I sat up, yawning and stretching my arms. The room was empty, just as it was when I went to bed.
After getting back in my uniform, i went to check if the rain had died down yet. Well, the drops were definitely less heavy than the previous sundown. Though foggy and wet, it would be a good time to do some training.

Once I'd walked around to the training area i started off with some basic swings. I could surely do some hardcore training, i thought. I feel as if I've been weaker lately, definitely below my true abilities. If i ever want to be as powerful as a Hashira, I'd have to work 10 times harder.
In the middle of my second set of swings, a shadow grew behind me. Turning to see who it was, i smiled, seeing the Mist pillar.
"Oh, hey," i said.
He didn't say anything. Rather than responding with words, he walked a few yards away from me and drew his Nichirin blade.
I was confused. Did he want to spare with me? It was a rather random action for him, being the secluded type and all.
"Would you like to train with me?" i asked, hoping to forget all about that other ordeal by fighting.
He nodded this time, getting into a proper battle stance. "ready?" he asked.
I nodded. "Ready."
Muichiro made the first move. He sprinted in the blink of an eye, and was above me in an instant. But my senses were sharper. Right when he was about to strike, i tucked and rolled out of the way.
We regained our stance and i ran towards him. I knew he was prepared to repel me, so that's why when he was in close range, i swung my leg around and kicked the back of his knee, forcing him to kneel.
As fast as lighting, he sprung back up and did the same thing i had done, but with a lot more force. A puff of air left my body as he looked down at me, but i quickly regained my composure.
We continued training together for a long time. When our final session ended i could feel my heart thumping in my chest, but not as worn out as i thought I'd be.
I could've sworn he was going to kill me! Although he didn't go particularly easy one me, he held back to some degree, which i was greatful for. For if he hadn't, i would most likely be a lot more hurt afterwards.
Despite already mastering most of the techniques we practiced, it made me laugh how easy he made certain things that were difficult for me seem.

"Hey, Muichiro-kun?" i said.
He gave me his blank stare, face moist from the rain still trickling down on us. "Hm?" he hummed.
"I just wanted to formally apologize...for what happened."
Muichiro stared at me, puzzled. "What are you referring to?" he asked.
I gulped out of relief.
Of course he's forgotten, that was days ago after all.
I shook my head. "Ah, nevermind, it's not important."
We both sat there for a bit. No words exchanged between us. I could feel Muichiro's eyes on me, and when i looked his mint blue eyes were fixed on me.
I hadn't anything to say, so i just smiled. Aw, look at those pretty eyes, i thought.
"I'm hungry," he spoke suddenly, holding me with his gaze.
I didn't entirely understand what he meant. What was i supposed to do about that?
Before I asked he got up and left inside. I followed, and found him standing in the middle of the kitchen.