Chapter 31 ~ Signals

Atsumi thought her ears would burst and bleed from the high frequency of Mitsuri's excited squeals. She covered her ears, waiting for the moment to die down (if that was possible).
This is what I get for telling her of all people, she thought.
The Love Pillar could hardly contain herself, giggling profusely and kicking her feet in the air while rolling on the floor. "Oh my goodness, I can't believe it! You two really kissed?"
"I . . . I guess we did. But please don't tell anyone."
"But–" Atsumi gave her a serious look, and sighed. "Okay, I promise. But wait a minute. Who kissed who? Did you do it?"
Atsumi's face turned hot. "N-no! I wouldn't have kissed him. He kissed me."
"But did you try stopping him? That's the real question." Mitsuri had a devious look on her face like she held all of the world's secrets in her possession.
"No. I suppose I was fine with it."
"So now we definitely know that it's him—the one from the omen we heard, remember? It has to be him! Who else could it be? Nobody else fits the description that lady gave us."
"Her name was Haneka. And you're right." Atsumi looked at the ground. "I'll admit I was trying to find anyone else that could have resembled him, but I can't keep this up anymore. He'll have to start training the others soon to fight Muzan, and I don't know if I'll ever get to see him again after that. Or you, Mitsuri." She looked at her friend with sadness in her eyes.
"Oh Atsumi, don't say that! We'll be fine, I promise."
"Don't you dare make a promise like that."
"Speaking of the Hashira, what about you and Tomioka?" asked Mitsuri.
She scoffed. "Tomioka and I? That was never even a thing. And I doubt we were ever gonna go anywhere with how 'dark and mysterious' he acts."
"I thought that's what you liked about him?"
"Me too, but not anymore. It's just too much at this point. The most important thing to focus on right now is Muichiro." She got the chills on her back thinking about yesterday. "I hope things aren't awkward between us."
"I doubt it," Mitsuri assured. "I bet he's dying to be with you right as we speak. Now go and mingle with him!"
They got to their feet and walked to the front of Mitsuri's estate, and at the front steps was none other than the Mist Pillar, sitting with his short legs dangling off the ledge as he pet a cat beside him—likely a rogue. He heard their footsteps and instinctually fixed his eyes on Atsumi.
"Atsumi!" He hopped up and practically gilded towards her with a big ol' smile on his face. He hugged her like they've been apart for an eternity.
Atsumi was a bit stiff at first, but quickly returned the gesture in fear of hurting his feelings. "How long have you been here for?"
"Not very long. Maybe six minutes? I don't know, I wasn't keeping track. I heard you guys talking and didn't want to interrupt, so I came back and sat right here and waited."
Mitsuri squeaked and covered her mouth. "W-what exactly did you hear?"
"Nothing much. Why?"
The girls looked at each other and back at him. "No reason," Atsumi dismissed. "Did you want to see one of us?"
"Of course. I wanted to see you."
There it goes again, such simple words causing a blood flow increase.
"Are you free right now?" He asked, stepping closer.
"I sure am." Atsumi narrowed the gap between them and held his hand, locking fingers with him. Why not tease him a bit?
"Awesome! We should go get some ice cream. It's warm today."
As they walked off the property, she looked back at Mitsuri, and she gave her a thumbs up. "Have fun, you two!"

• • •

Holding hands was now a pretty normal thing amongst them, but Muichiro noticed the increase in physical contact coming from Atsumi. Their fingers were intertwined, and her hand brushed up his arm every now and then.
The ice cream wasn't enough, and so they each got some Taiyaki after. It was gone by the time they neared Muichiro's home; both of them were full. Not once did their hands separate on the trip. The way Atsumi acted around Muichiro was puzzling—even came off as a bit strange—but he did not mind. He was, in fact, enjoying the attention from her.
"So when do you plan on starting your training?" Asked Atsumi. They entered the large space he would be training the other demon slayers in.
"Soon. In a week, or less, depending on how quickly they finish their time with Tengen. Wanna do something in the meantime?"
Atsumi hummed. "Something like what?"
The tone in her voice did something to Muichiro. Is she insinuating something? But he was proven wrong when she laughed it off.
"I'm messing with you," she said in between chuckles.
She followed him to a different room, a quiet space for them to sit and talk. They hung their legs over the ledge and rolled their pants up to better enjoy the sun's rays on their skin. It didn't matter what they did, Atsumi was all over him: touching his arm, holding his hands, playing with his hair. He admitted that this excessive attention piqued his curiosity. What are her motives? Does she even have any?
She doesn't have a crush on me . . . Does she?
He looks at her and earns a smile filled with love. "Can I ask you something?"
"Sure. What is it?"
"I notice that you've been acting differently lately. Well, not super differently, but definitely more . . . How do I say it? Close? Personal? Is there anything you want to tell me?"
For the first time that day, Atsumi's expression switched. For a split second her face was unsure, then back to normal. "Not that I can think of, no. And I didn't realize I changed. I just love being around you, that's all."
I don't believe you.
"Okay then. But are you sure that's it?"
With a nod of assurance, Muichiro decided to leave it be. She may be hiding something from him, but he wasn't going to try digging too deep for something that might not even be there.

• • •

With the rest of the day free, the two went out for dinner in a nearby town. The meals didn't't hold a candle to the interior setting of the restaurant. Its walls were coated with a rich maroon, black wooden floors, and a dazzling chandelier hung overhead.
They took their time on the stroll to Atsumi's home. The air was cool and damp, a bit odd for a summer sunfall. This would be a perfect moment for someone to propose to their lover or announce something as great as that.
This is as good a time as ever to tell him about the omen. But would he believe me?
So she instead asked, "Muichiro, what do you think about fate?"
"Fate? Hmm, I guess I don't really think about it very often. I know that It's a real thing, obviously. There's no other explanation for any occurrence. Things just happen when they're supposed to; we can't change that."
Wow, that was deeper than I expected from him.
"What about you?"
"I think the same as you, pretty much. Except sometimes I wish that I could change certain things."
"I understand. If I had a chance to bring back Yuichiro, I would." Atsumi placed a comforting hand on his back. "Sometimes I miss him."
"I'm sorry. I know how you feel. I wish Chiyo and my brothers were still here right now. I wonder what things would be like if they were. Sora probably wouldn't be so angsty, for starters." Atsumi huffed out a laugh. "I think he's doing better now, though. So that's good."
"And he doesn't hate me anymore, so there's a plus." Muichiro added.
"Oh, my brother never hated you. He was just, I don't know. All I know is that he didn't hate you."
He hummed. "That's good to know."

• • •

And there they were. They'd finally made it to Atsumi's place. A soft glow snuck through the curtains being softly pushed by the air.
"Here we are." Muichiro lazily hugged Atsumi like he lost all energy. He groaned and his distressed voice muffled against her shoulder. "I wish you could stay over with me, just for tonight."
"Me too. Soon, I hope."
He stands straight and looks her in the eyes. "Goodnight, Atsumi. Sleep well." He boops her nose, getting that smile he adores so much.
"You too." Atsumi turns around, then hesitates to walk away. "Actually, can I tell you something?"
"Sure, what?"
She steps closer to whisper something in his ear, but he instead feels a pair of warm lips on his cheek. This wondrous moment lasted two seconds (he counted precisely). "I love you."
Muichiro was too astonished to say anything back. All he did was watch her walk up to a door and give him one last glance before entering and closing the door behind. His mind felt blank all the way to his estate, a million thoughts racing around his mind. And the thoughts don't quiet down when he lays himself in bed. This would surely be keeping him awake.
I love you. The words repeat in his head like an eternal chain of echoes.
"She said it," he muttered,  eyes on the ceiling. "She said she loves me. Atsumi loves me." But between the two different forms of love—romantic and platonic—which one could she have been referring to?

Thank you for reading! I hope you all enjoyed it. Please vote and feel free to comment!