Chapter 26 - The Swordsmith Village

Atsumi limped through the halls of Shinobu's manor, trying to regain the strength in her left leg. During a fight with a particularly strong demon the other night, it had caught her slipping and left a gash on her upper thigh. Her pants reeked of blood when she removed them.

"Atsumi!"

She froze dead in her tracks, knowing what was coming. ah crap.

She slowly looked over her shoulder as Aoi stomped toward her. "What do you think you're doing, walking around with your leg in that state?"

"I-"

She grabbed Atsumi by the wrist and dragged her back to the patients' room. "By the way, you got a letter." She gestures toward an envelope on the bedside table. "It's from the man who forged your sword, Manohako Fumiko."

Atsumi's eyes brightened. "Really?" She'd almost forgotten about him. The last and only time he sent her a letter was when she first passed the final selection, and she wasn't even there to meet him.

She opened the neat envelope and read the following:

"Hello, Takahashi Atsumi. You may remember me, the one who made and delivered your sword to your home. It is unfortunate that we were not able to meet each other that day, or after that.

I'm very impressed with what good care you take of your sword, only needing a fixing once. If you want, I'd love for you to come visit the village. It would be our first time seeing each other in person."

~ Manohako Fumiko.

"He sounds like a nice guy," Atsumi commented. "I'd love to meet him soon. Hey, how soon do you think I'll be able to travel? I'd like to go as soon as I can."

Aoi crossed her arms. "Your leg will be fully healed in two days. But I guess you could head out tomorrow. Just don't do any running!"

"Right, I won't. But wait, how do I get there? To the village?"

"A kakushi will be here tomorrow to pick you up."

Pick me up? Will I not be traveling alone?
Aoi dashed out of the room before Atsumi could ask for any further information, probably to tend to a more regent matter.. Guess she'll just have to wait until tomorrow.

• • •

She woke herself up early the next morning to go out and do some stretching. A soft trail of wind swam past her and through her hair. The early sky was a pale yellow, bits of cloud dabbled here and there.

Atsumi was sitting on the ground, massaging the wrapped wound with her leg outstretched, when a loud, scratchy voice called out to her.

"Takahashi Atsumi!"

She jumped. "Huh?"

A crow hovered overhead. It told her to go to the exit of the headquarters, where she would have a guide to the swordsmith village.

"Oh, wonderful." She struggled a bit to stand; her leg was feeling a little stiff from not using it as much.

She limped her way to the spot where the crow was directing her. When they made it, a kakushi greeted Atsumi.

"Hello," said the masked woman. "Kagaya-sama is allowing you to follow your invitation. I'll be bringing you."

"Alright, thank you."

She blindfolded Atsumi and had her get on her back. She was passed on to different kakushi throughout the trip, which confused her. She was starting to feel tired when they finally arrived at the village and she had her blindfold taken off.
It was a normal-looking village, with trees everywhere you looked.