Chapter 26

Aspen's POV

We searched this mafia from top to bottom but couldn't find the mole. We had killed over a dozen of Alexandra's men and we were starting to all get frustrated. Alexandra was going mad. She had ordered a complete lockdown since her parents came three days ago. The only people allowed to leave is my family, Alexandra and her most trusted guards. 

Alessio was taking his anger out on furniture and it was breaking my heart. He was always very close to Antonio and felt like he owed him.

When they were younger and I had just met them, Alessio was set to be Don of the Italian mafia. He didn't mind being in the mafia but he never wanted to take over. The only other person able to take over was Antonio because the others were still too young. But Antonio was clueless and stupid when he was young. He would go out partying every night and come back drunk with a woman almost every single time. 

When Antonio heard about Alessio not wanting to take over the mafia, Antonio stepped up and took over for him. Antonio had always been selfless and Alessio has felt indebted to his brother ever since. 

They both would do anything for the other, and to protect the family at all cost. So they made a deal, Antonio would take over, but if anything ever happened, Alessio would take over so their siblings wouldn't have to. Demetrio and Matteo are very strong but they are children, even at the age of 25 and 26. Enzo may be like a brother to them but he isn't blood related. Cadenza has shown great leadership skills but they would never put her through that. Gia and Teresa will never even be allowed in the mafia, its something we all agreed on, even their parents.

The one problem was that when they both retire, who would take over after them? Me and Alessio had always talked about having kids soon but we don't know if we want them to join the mafia. And well, Antonio never really liked the idea of himself having kids. He may be all sweet with Teresa but its different when it comes to her. She needs him and although he wont ever admit it, he needs her too.

But enough about that, today was the day I would try to cheer everyone up, starting with my amazing husband.

I made my way into the kitchen and found Alessio drinking some water. "Alessio" I spoke soft and smoothly, hoping my voice would have a tiny impact on calming him down. "Hm?" he mumbled after putting his glass down. "I know its been gloomy lately but I wanted to cheer you up." I smiled at him, "that's kind of you but I'm not in the mood right now." He sighs, looking at the ground.

I make my way over to him and cup his cheeks with both my hands. "We will find him" I kiss the side of his mouth. "How can you be so sure?" he looks at me with his dark brown eyes and it makes my heart melt. He was truly hurt and I wanted so bad to cheer him up but all he wanted was his brother. "Because Alexandra has said it so many times that I believe it" I smile warmly at him. His eyes find mine and I could see a glimmer of hope in them, something very little of us had left. "Now go get in the shower, you stink." I giggle making him slightly laugh. Oh that laugh, how I have deeply missed it. "Join me" he smirks making me roll my eyes. "Sleep tonight and I will gladly join you tomorrow." I wink at him, leaving him in the kitchen to think about that.

"Stop Gia!" Cadenza yells, starting to get annoyed with her sister. "What's wrong?" I ask, "She wont stop running away from me." She tears up. I grab her by her arm and pull her into a hug.

"I'm trying my best here. I'm hurting too and I'm stuck taking care of Teresa and Gia more than half of the time." She cries into my shoulder. "I'll get a guard to watch Gia, go take care of yourself" I hug her tighter. "Thank you" she pulls away and leaves. 

I walk over to the nearest guard and smile, "There's a little girl, about 11 years old, running around here named Gia, go find her and take care of her until I say otherwise." I demand and he quickly scurries off to go find her.

I knock on Alexandra's office but instead of hearing her saying for me to enter, I hear a huge thud. I walk in to see her desk knocked over and papers all over the floor. "I love the way you have redecorated the office" I joke, hoping that humor could cheer her up. She just looks up and doesn't say a word. "Anton-" she cuts me off, "don't... I can't take hearing his name anymore." I could see her entire body trembling. She was on the brink of breaking but she was staying strong for him, and I had no idea how she did it.

"How many days has it been since you have slept?" I ask her, genuinely concerned about her health. "Only five days, but the coffee and energy drinks are helping me stay up..." she sighs, wiping her eyes.

She was drained, it was obvious. She was lying to herself and everyone else. It wasn't the coffee and energy drinks keeping her up. It was her drive to find Antonio. They may not have known each other for long but its clear she has strong feelings for him, anyone who cant see that is blind. 

"I cant afford to miss anything, not the smallest bit of information." Her eyes soften. The only thing she had left was hope, and she was praying that it was enough. "Usually people make mistakes when they are tired and drained Alexandra." I try to get her to listen to me. "Try all you want Aspen, but I'm not going to bed" she argues. "You're no good to him if you cant fight if it comes time to go get him." I think practically. She knew what I was saying was the truth but she didn't want to hear it. "WHEN ASPEN, WHEN it comes time to go get him." She yells, clearly getting frustrated. "Now get out of my office" she says through gritted teeth.

I left because I know it was no use, she had made up her mind, no one can talk her out of it.

Finally an Aspen POV. Please vote and comment.