The Stable Boy (Vintage!Tom)

Background information: Set in the 1880s, English countryside

"Ms L/n, your father will be home any second now from Wiltshire with Duchess Claire, why aren't you ready?" Maid Marian said, her eyes wide as she stared at the young woman in front of her.

"She isn't the first new wife he brings home, I doubt she'll be the last," Y/n L/n said, not looking up from her book. Marian gasped.

"Miss, you mustn't talk about your father in such ways," she said, Y/n only rolled her eyes.

"Do you know what useless gift he will bring this time?" She asked, standing up from the window seat and stretching.

"I believe that he is bringing an American Quarter Horse ma'am, Duchess Claire's family has made their fortune from racehorses but this one is a particularly calm breed," Marian said and Y/n nodded.

"Can't be any worse than the wife whose family got rich from snakes," Y/n said, a chill running down her spine as she remembered that horrid day her father brought two snakes home, one being his new wife, and the other, an actual python.

Y/n looked out of her bedroom window as the trumpets outside of her family estate sounded. She saw her fathers carriage making its way towards the entrance.

"Ma'am, I really must insist that you prepare yourself. Your father would not be in the best of moods if his daughter wasn't there to greet him," Marian said and Y/n sighed.

"If it really means that much to you," she said and Marian nodded. She helped Y/n put on her corset and a white dress. She had just put on her matching white heels when a member of the household came running into her room.

"The duke is requesting to see Lady Y/n," he said, out of breath and Marian looked at Y/n. She nodded and the two servants made way for the young woman as she walked out of her room.

She made her way to the dining room, knowing her father would want a drink after such a long journey from the city.

She walked in and saw her father, Samuel, sitting at the head of the dining table, a woman who didn't seem to be much older than she was sitting to his right. She had dark brown hair and Y/n could help but notice the giant ring on her left hand.

She curtsied slightly to her father as he motioned for her to come up to him.

"My dear, how I've missed you!" He said a big smile on his face.

"Father! It's been so lonely here without you," Y/n lied, giving her father a kiss on his cheek.

"This is your new mother, Claire," he said motioning to the young woman next to him. "Claire, this is my beloved daughter, Y/n," he said and the woman nodded.

"Your father has told me so much about you, Y/n," she said and Y/n couldn't help but notice the resentment in her voice. She was used to it though, his father's fifth wife so far wasn't much different from the previous.

No woman her father married would ever compare to her mother, a beautiful and intelligent woman who had passed when Y/n was just two.

"Pleasure to meet you," Y/n said, nodding her head.

"My dear, I believe there is a surprise waiting for you in the stables," her father said and a big smile made its way to Y/n's face as she curtsied again before making her way out of the room.

It didn't take her long to reach the stables, it was the place she spent the most time in, other than the library.

She opened the tall barn doors and walked inside. It was void of people and she liked it that way. There were two horses that the L/n's owned and both were taken special care of, especially her mother's horse.

Ginger was sand-coloured and the sweetest horse Y/n had ever known. She liked to think that she represented her mother's personality.

Alexander was a beautiful grey colour, he was her father's horse. He had a big ego and Y/n had always thought that they were perfect for each other.

She noticed a new horse in the third stall, it was a beautiful gold champagne colour and Y/n admired it as she reached out to pet the beauty.

"Wait no!" A voice sounded from behind her and she was startled. The horse reared its front legs and she stumbled backwards, tripping on her dress.

Before she hit the ground, two arms wrapped around her waist and caught her. She opened her eyes and saw a young man looking down at her.

He got her standing back on her feet before turning to calm the horse.

"What the hell?" Y/n said, trying to calm herself.

"Achilles is very sensitive to new people, you would have scared him if you got any closer," The young man said, his American accent ringing through the air as he whispered soothing words to the golden horse.

"So instead you scare me?" Y/n asked and the young man turned to look at her.

"You might have received a blow to the head if I didn't," He said and Y/n's face flushed in embarrassment.

"Would be better than dealing with the snake inside the house," She mumbled under her breath but the young man heard her.

"There's a snake in the house?" He asked a look of curiosity on his face.

"Yes, my new stepmother," Y/n said and the young man let out a laugh.

"I'm guessing your Y/n L/n then," he said and Y/n nodded.

"And you are?"

"Peter, Peter Parker," he said, holding out his hand and Y/n shook it. He had curly dark brown hair and wasn't much taller than Y/n. He had a sharp jawline and Y/n could see a hint of muscles underneath his white shirt. 

"I don't remember ever meeting you before," she said.

"I came with Duchess Claire, my job is to look after Achilles," He said, motioning to the horse.

"He's beautiful," Y/n said and Peter nodded. "May I?" She asked, motioning to step forward, Peter nodded again. She slowly approached Achilles standing next to Peter. She held her breath as Peter took her right hand in his hand and extended it to Achilles slowly.

His calloused hand was all she could feel and the smell of his cologne overpowered her senses. She felt Achilles soft mane and she let out the breath she was holding.

"He likes you," Peter whispered and she looked over at him, a smile on her face.

"Miss Y/n!" A voice shouted from the doors of the barn, Y/n looked to her left and saw Marian standing there, a worried expression on her face. Y/n stepped back from Achilles, Peter took a step away from her as Marian approached them.

"What is it?" She asked, noticing that Marian seemed out of breath.

"It's the duchess! She brought up the subject of marriage with your father!" She said and Y/n rolled her eyes.

"Remember how Duchess Anna tried to send me to boarding school?" Y/n asked and Marian nodded. "She tried but my father denied the idea of sending me away from home. I doubt it will be any different this time," Y/n said but the panic on Marian's face never went away.

"But this time, he has agreed with her!" She said and Y/n frowned, thoughts running through her head.

"I will go and see him," She said and Marian nodded, curtsying before leaving the barn.

Y/n turned to say something to Peter but when she turned around, he was gone. The spot he had taken up next to Achilles' stall was empty. She looked around for him but she was the only one in the barn.