«Chapter 3- Two new friends»

«Hajime Hinata?»

"Hey... so, do you remember anything you that happened before you got here?" I ask tentatively. "Like, your parents and stuff?"
Nagito blinks. For a second, his face is twisted with cataclysmic grief. But then he blinks again, and his  grin returns, filling the empty space.
"Well yes, obviously." He studies my face. His eyes, despite the cloudiness, send a shot of ice through me, like when a freezing drink slashes the back of your teeth. One you can't stop drinking. "You don't?"
"No!" I yell. "No, I do- it just took me a while to remember." I reply awkwardly. "Anyway, where would you like to go first?" I ask, trying to subtly change the conversation.
"Um, can we go to that building over their?" He points over to the building perched at the edge of the village.
"Sure!"

We walk up in silence. I can tell Nagito is chewing something over in his head, and I do the same. I close my eyes and try to remember. To remember anything. All I can remember is waking up on this beach. Nothing before. I have to have a family, right? I have to have a life before this place. It- it doesn't make sense.
Nothing here makes sense.
The door is ajar, the lights flitting inside and the distinct sound of footsteps pad on the floorboards.
"Hello?" I call through the crack.
"AAH!"
There's the sound of a girl scream, a crunch of wood and an exploding-
CRASH!
I rush into the room, jumping over a cardboard box to find a girl laying on the floor in a- how did she end up like this?
"I'm SOrRYyy!" She sobs, her voice diving up and down.
I pull her up from the ground.
"Are you ok?"
She trembles as she stands, her hands clasped together.
"I'm sorry! I- It was a mistake, I'm so so sorry!"  She sobs, tears flowing down her face.
"Wait- don't cry! It's ok-We can tidy it up." The girl carries on crying into her bandaged hands. I can see why she needs all those plasters- she seems unnaturally clumsy.
"Are you bullying a girl Hajime? That's not very nice." I swing around as Nagito seemingly teleports beside me.
"I- I wasn't bullying her. She dropped this box." Nagito raises his eyebrows.
"I'm sorry! I'm a clumsy." The girl wipes her eyes dolefully. She looks at us both with striking amethyst eyes. "Is your name H-Hajime? Is it ok if I remember your name?"
"Um, I don't mind-"
"Thank you! Thank you! My name is Mikan T-tsumiki. I hope we can get along and I W-won't annoy you." She looks down at her white plimsols. Even after about an hour, they're scuffed and covered in sand.
"My names Nagito Komeada." Nagito replies. "And this is obviously Hajime."
"Um.... um... um..." Her feet start to shudder. "I'm sorry! My mind's blank! I-"
"Ok then." Nagito turns away from Mikan and starts rifling through the shelves.
"Um... anyway, what are you doing in here?" I ask, trying to keep my voice steady.
"Um! I was looking for some tissues... my shoes are all messy already." Stammers Mikan. "I'm very clumsy." She adds unnecessarily.
"I'm just following Nagito. He wanted to come here."
"Oh. Do you know him?"
I look back at Nagito. He's already at the back of the storage room. Can he teleport or something...?
"No. I don't know anyone here. Do you?"
"Um... no. No." She mumbles. Suddenly, she lets out an ear-piercing squeal.
"YAY! Sorry! I'm just so excited to have new friends!" She splutters. "Not that you actually want to be my friend! I'm sorry! I'll do anything! Please don't hate me!" She bursts into tears again.
"Are you bullying a girl again Hajime?" Nagito scoffs. "Oh my gosh..."
"No- why does this keep happening?"
Mikan dries her eyes laughs to herself quietly while Nagito goes back to looking in the boxes. I suppose I have made two new friends today... even if they're both mildly insane...