«Chapter 1- Sunset»

«Hajime Hinata?»

We left it behind. We walked out of the building, as the sun bled a ruby-red glow over the island, the only sound a distant sobbing that nobody could touch.
I watched helplessly as Ibuki led Peko away, my fists clenched uselessly.
As if he could read my mind, Nagito floats towards me like a ghost, the paleness of his face highlighted by the sunset.
"It's not your fault." He murmurs.
"I know. It's just- I mean, I can't believe there's been another murder." I reply.
"There was always going to be another murder. That's the way this works, despair, then hope, then despair, then hope. But hope will always win, of course." He carries on, as the last remaining students swim away like a shoal of fish, except for the three of us.
"H-hey guys." Mikan tip-toes over, her purple hair stained crimson. "Are y-you ok?"
"Yeah, you?" I ask, and Mikan curls a chunky strand of hair around her finger as she thinks.
"Well, I th-thought I'd come over here and g-gather my thoughts." She mumbles.
"Yeah, that's a good idea." Nagito murmurs, and he sits down on the grassy bank, metres away from the jagged cliff edge that juts out like a tooth, above the churning ocean. The fact that at any moment, I could leap off into the abyss, is terrifying, but electrifying at the same time.
We sit in a dodgy circle, and after a few awkward seconds we starts talking. About anything, random stuff. We only skip two things in the conversation- what just happened and what happened before Dohrnii island. The past and the present.
We focus on the future instead, which brings it's own medley of issues.
"I-I'm so scared- what if w-we get murdered next?!" Mikan splutters, her arms curled around her body.
"We won't. We don't do stupid things, like the people that died." Nagito says.
"B-but-"
"We won't. I promise we will stay alive." I promise, and my voice sounds the most certain it's ever been in these crazy last few days.

As the day is finally swallowed by the night, we walk back to our dorms. The darkness, the danger and daringness of being out at night seems to intoxicate us, causing us to giggle at the smallest things.
"Goodnight, Mikan." We wave the nurse off as she slides into her dorm. Then, it's just us.
As we walk, Nagito grabs my arm, hanging of it like a leaf on a branch.
"I wish we could stay out all night." Nagito smiles, his eyes glinting in the darkness. "Just me and you."
I'm so glad it's pitch black, because my face heats up instantly.
"Me too. But we need to get back before 10:00." Our footsteps stop as we reach Ngaito's house.
"Goodnight, Hajime." He whisper and, as quick as a moth, dart and kisses my cheek before fluttering away inside.