«Chapter 8- Laughing»

«Hajime Hinata?»

He's... laughing.
Chaotic spirals of choking laughter pour from his mouth like vomit, uncontrollable vomit.
"The ultimates are working together to combat the despair of their friends' death!" His voice curls into the air around my ears. I don't hear anything he's saying.
"Nagito- what are you taking about? It's not true! You wouldn't-"
"I was planning to murder someone- for hope! I would never work for despair." He spits the word despair, yet his voice drags out the word murder. His eyes twist in spirals, his lips wide as he coughs out more laughter.
"Who? Was it me? I thought-"
I thought we were friends.
I thought we were more than that.
I thought you loved me.
Nagito covers his face in his hands.
"Argh, the despair!" He mutters to himself fervently, too low to hear.
"Well, we've got our answer!" Mahiru announces. "It was Komeada all along! We need to vote now. He's creepy..."
"No- we need to talk about the note." Byakuya takes control of the trail again. "Why Hiyoko? She has no relation to the victims."
"Maybe... because she's easy to k-kill?"
"I'm not easy to kill you bitch!" Hiyoko screams over Mikan's stammering words.
"That makes sense. But we need to think about how they moved all of us to that hut. They had to be incredible strong." Peko muses.
"If they could have something to help them, like... a trolley." Byakuya holds up a printed page, with a picture of a trolly on it.
"Hm?!" Mahiru raises her eyes in suprise. "What trolley?"
"Well, I saw this trolley, and look at the sides... it looks like somethings been tied to the side, probably to keep the victims on, correct?" It's a thin, yellow rope, strangely familiar. My eyes scan the students, and I locate it.
"Hiyoko... is that your Kimono string?"
"WHAT?!" Hiyoko's eyes widen, her pupils dilating into dinnerplates. Her skin has gone porcelain- white, as white as the fox mask's we found. "THAT'S NOT MY STRING! I'M WEARING IT RIGHT NOW!"
"You could have a spare..." Mahiru mutters.
"M-MAHIRU?! WHY AREN'T YOU DEFENDING ME?" Hiyoko shrieks, but Mahiru just closes her eyes.
"It has to be two murderers, right?" Ibuki yells. "Because of the two masks!"
"Isn't it Hiyoko and Nagito then?" Gundham adds.
"No- I think Hiyoko had an ally, someone who donned the mask with her, and Nagito was separate." I explain. "And when I overhead them talking... they said choose someone. So..."
I stare at Nagito, truly stare at him, the person I've been falling in love with, his white hair, green eyes choked with despair and hoped, and I realise he killed someone.
"He killed Nekomaru. Nagito killed him in the woods and then waited for us to escape. It was him. Is that right, Komeada?"
Nagito looks up at me, squinting, and nods. Just nods.
"But he didn't kill Kazuizhi, did he? That was Hiyoko." Mahiru comments.
"WHAT?! IT WAS NAGITO, IT'S HIM! IT'S HIM! IT'S-"
"SHUT UP HIYOKO!" Chiaki yells. "Nobody wants you to speak. We need to discuss something. Who's going to be... executed? If they killed different people." We all look at Monokuma.
"Well, it was the person who killed the last victim! Good luck!"
The last victim.
Nekomaru.
Nagito.
"Nagito..." I'm too numb to cry. I just stare at him across the courtroom and stare at him.
"No- we don't know Nekomaru died last. I think he died first." Byakuya explains. "If Nagito knocked you two out, and fled to the hut, he could have easily met Hiyoko there. And maybe kidnapped Nekomaru as he was wheeled in, and killed him outside. Hiyoko couldn't tell us, because it would be so suspicious. Then Hiyoko and her ally killed Kazuizhi. So Hiyoko and her ally are the true murders!"
"NOOOOOOOOOOOO!" Screams Hiyoko, her hands clamping her head. "MAHIRU, TELL THEM!"
"But who's her ally?" Chiaki mutters.
"It's Mahiru." My voice is alien to me. "It has to be. They're best friends."
Mahiru doesn't argue with us. She just- she just-
"DING DONG! COREECT! IT WAS ME ▄▌ ▐▄█ █▚▌ ▐◀ 🞉   🢇 █▚▌ 🞉 ▄█▀ █▬█ █ █▚▞▌ ▅▀▅!"
"Mahiru- you can't just admit it!" Hiyoko sobs.
"Nope! I, ▄▌ ▐▄█ █▚▌ ▐◀ 🞉, killed Kazuizhi! It was sooo fun!" She giggles, her voice sugary sweet. "Vote me! I planned it! And killed him! Oh, the despair...." she moans, clutching herself. "This execution will be amazing!"
"Um.. . I guess we should vote. It was Mahiru"
I say, still staring at Nagito, who's still laughing.