«Chapter 3- Pills»

Warning for Ov//d//e

«Hajime Hin̷̢̦̝̰̮̟͕̙̈́̒̉̿͋̋̊̍̇̚̚͝͠ă̸̬͙̻̭̦̝̲̠̳͛́̔̇̒͘ͅţ̶̡͉̙̙̪̤̘̲̱̩̉a̸͖̮̯̗̚͝?»

They were so kind.

They were so gentle.

They would never hurt anyone.

They didn't deserve this.

"I'm sorry, Mikan." I whisper, standing beside her frozen body. "I'm sorry."
Mikan just stares back, her eyes slackened, her lips drooling, her hands clutching the pills that lead to her death. Beside her, a loaded pistol. Beside her, Nagito, his eyes focused on me.
"Jesus, you scared me. What did I tell you?"
Nagito stares back silently. He looks worse- much worse then when I last saw him, when I first saw him. His hair is ragged with filth, his clothes hanging off his body and the hands that pick up the pill bottle are skeletal and sickly pale. He's a living corpse.
"We need to investigate together. It's the only way we can find Mikan's killer."
"I thought-"
"It wasn't on purpose." He interrupts me. "Her hands are taped down. Look closely. You need to concentrate."
"Don't tell me what to do." I snap back. "I'm not taking advice from a murderer."
"It had to happen." He muttered. "They had to die for hope."
"And Mikan? Her too?" I spit, seizing his jacket, just wanting to shake him, scream in his face.
"No. Look at the tape, Hajime. Look at the tape and the bottle and the gun." He says, and he slips out of my grip and strides away into the snow.
The rest of the world fades in after he leaves. I hadn't realised how much of my attention he had consumed. Ibuki is in hysterics. Chiaki is trying to calm her down. Hiyoko is sobbing. Peko is silent. Gundham is tending to his Hamsters. Byakuya is beside me.
"Do you recognise the bottle?" He asks, picking it up and inspecting it in his pink hands.
Its sapphire blue, and reflects every tiny beam of crystal light thrown to it. A memory stirs, paddling to the front of my mind.
"Yes... when we first arrived, me, Mikan and Nagito went and looked at this... medicine place. It was full of these bottles, but they all smashed. Unless Nagito or Mikan grabbed one beforehand, they were all destroyed when Monokuma arrived on the island."
I take the bottle from him, reading the label.
"Sleeping pills... I guess, if she took enough..."
"If her killer forced her to eat enough." Byakuya adds.
"What?" He pushes his glasses further up his nose.
"Well, I believe what happens was the killer taped her down and forced her to swallow these pills, holding her at gunpoint. It was a choice- a peaceful death or a violent one."
"That's disgusting." My mind floods with images of Mikan, sobbing, pills being shovelled into her mouth by a faceless killer, her hands struggling against the tape.
My eyes study the tape, and my mind suddenly erupts in fear.
I recognise the tape.
I know who killed Mikan.