21

It has been two weeks since Leo had left the academy, also since Harley has given Chase the ring back. She has made sure to stay clear of the Davenport siblings. She was still hurt that Leo had left. She was like a ticking time bomb that could go off any moment.

Instead, Harley has been hanging out with Logan. He was a really close friend to her and she was grateful that he had been there for her. The two have been visiting Taylor almost every day. Taylor asks Harley about Leo, begging for them to try and get Leo back at the academy. She knew it wasn't Leo's fault. It was an accident.

Currently, Harley sat in the mentors' headquarters as she was talking to Leo on the monitor. "Hey, Leo Dooley. How's it going in Mission Creek?"

"It's going great. Mom's hosting her book club tonight, and I'm in charge of dessert." He tells her.

"You better not destroy or burn any food or I will have to come over to Mission Creek and teach you how to properly cook." Harley sends a warning glare at the boy.

"You and I both know that mom will have my head before you do." He slightly chuckles. "On a serious note, have you talked to them yet?"

Harley sucks in a breath before shaking her head. Leo eventually forgave his stepsiblings and they told him all about Harley giving back the engagement ring. He knew about that already, of course, Harley cried to him over the phone about it. Leo tried convincing her to forgive them, but she just couldn't.

"I'm just not ready, Leo. What they did to you was not fair. You're their brother and didn't even have faith in you. They treated you like some idiot who doesn't understand things. You are my best friend, Dooley. If they hurt you, they hurt me."

Leo nods. "I get that, but they really miss you. Especially Chase. You guys have been through so much over the years. Something like this shouldn't affect your relationship. I don't want to be the reason you aren't with him. You guys love each other. I don't think there's a love stronger than what you two have. Just talk to him, Harls."

Harley slowly nods. "I'll think about it." She pauses before continuing, "Are you sure I can't convince you to come back? I love Logan and all, but I'm losing brain cells by the minutes as I try to hold a conversation with him."

Leo chuckles before saying, "I'm sorry, but I meant when I said I wasn't coming back. I don't belong at the academy, and I honestly am happy being back in Mission Creek. I'm able to spend more time with my mom and Janelle. It's for the best."

"I understand. I just miss you. It's boring here without my best friend. It's more fun to annoy Dad with you here. Promise to at least visit soon? Or I can come to see you?"

"We'll see, Harls." Leo turns his head to the side as if somebody was talking to him. "I should get going. Mom needs me. I'll talk to you soon."

The call ends and Harley sighs. It's not easy talking with him over a screen. She wishes Leo would come back. He still regrets what happened with Taylor, but all she wants is for him to come back as well. Maybe Leo could help her forgive Chase and his siblings.

The award ceremony is tomorrow and she doesn't know if she could stand next to them without being on good terms. Maybe the only time she'll see them is when they leave for the ceremony.

*

Harley was not correct.

She was sitting at the console in the main area when she heard Davenport walk in with the three siblings, explaining the ceremony.

"So nine a.m. tomorrow, we'll take the hydraloop to the mainland, and we will travel to the President's award ceremony in my self-driving limo," Davenport says with a grin. "Once the President is dazzled, I will undoubtedly be showered with a big, fat contract and piles of cash, which I just might share with you four."