The Run-In

"I'll take a Jack and Coke," I tell the bartender, shouting over the blaring music of the nightclub. Neon lights dance over her face as she nods, turning away to fix my drink.

I exhaled deeply, relieved to get away from the sweaty dance floor for a quick second. I glanced over my shoulder towards the packed crowd, bodies moving up and down, people laughing in pure bliss. The DJ is playing some EDM mix, though I'm sure with the level of inebriation within the crowd, they would be just as hyped up if he was spinning some Beethoven.

I laughed under my breath as my eyes found Kat Williams, best friend number one, getting up close and personal with some guy resembling an Abercrombie and Fitch model.

My smile widened when I saw Liam Elliot, best friend number two, further back, currently flirting up a storm with the DJ.

Chuckling, I turned around to pay for my drink, but an arm encircled my wrist.

Looking to my left, I glared at the man grabbing my arm. Clad in a suit and wearing a watch the price of my car, he screamed businessman.

"Here gorgeous," he boasted, pulling out a credit card, "No woman that looks like you should ever have to pay for a drink."

His gaze slowly traveled down my body, the asshole not even trying to hide his prying eyes. I wasn't exactly shocked by the ogling - attention from men was not so alien to me.

Standing at about 5'3, I had a small, slightly curvy frame, with olive-skin, long, wavy black hair, and my mother's cat-like green eyes. I was currently donning a tight, red backless dress, with a matching red clutch, and heels that took hours of convincing from Kat for me to wear. I much preferred my trusty Air Forces.

Although I was used to it, his gaze didn't make me any less disturbed. I snatched my wrist away, shooting daggers with my eyes.

"And why is that?" I asked with a clipped tone, already knowing I would hate whatever came out of his mouth.

He flashed a pervy smile. "Well," he drawled, "those hands could be put to much better use than buying a drink, don't you think?"

I let out a harsh laugh, hardly shocked by the man's barbarity. "You're right," I claimed with a sultry smile, drawing my arm backward. "These hands could be put to much better use."

I cocked my fist back and slammed it into the dick's face, knocking him square in the nose. Bullseye.

The man yelped as he grabbed his nose, blood gushing out, drawing attention from others at the club. "You bitch!" he yelled, gunning straight for me.

Before he could lay a finger on me, Liam jumped in, shoving him against the bar. "Why don't you leave while you still can buddy," he suggested, tossing a threatening glare.

The man darted off, clutching his nose and cursing up a storm.

Kat hurried beside me, just in time to see the douchebag scurrying away. She snickered and looked my way. "You really can't go one night without starting something, can you Layla?"

"She sure can't," teased Liam, amusement dancing in his eyes.

I rolled my eyes mockingly. "Maybe if I didn't always encounter assholes, I wouldn't have to," I declared, grinning at Kat and Liam.

Liam threw me a pitiful gaze. "Yeah babe, it's guys like that who make me question my attraction to men."

Kat giggled, "As if that would even stop you, you manwhore."

I let out a laugh, but she wasn't wrong.

Liam hooked up with more guys than I could count, his tall, toned build, blonde hair, golden skin, and auburn eyes enough to grab anyone's attention.