Saint Regis Hotel

Hunter and I had driven a painstaking four hours, finally stopping to get some much-needed coffee and an even more necessary bathroom break on my end. 

I swear, guys had bladders the size of elephants. 

"Why don't you head over to the bathroom and I'll order our drinks," suggested Hunter as we walked in.  

Noting the long line inside the coffee shop and the fact that I seriously needed to pee, I agreed. 

"Sure, thanks. I'll have a-" 

"Vanilla latte, right?" finished Hunter. 

He had remembered my coffee order? That was...sweet. 

Hiding my surprise, I simply nodded, making my way over to the restroom while he waited in line. 

If it was possible, the line to get into the bathroom was even longer. 

By the time I was out, Hunter was no longer in my line of sight. He had probably gone to use the restroom himself. 

I headed over to the lounge area in the backend of the coffee shop to wait, leaning against one of the bookshelves. Glancing up at the twinkling lights decorating the space, I smiled softly. This place was pretty charming. 

"Wow, darlin'. Anyone ever tell you that you got a gorgeous smile?" 

My gaze darted up to the source of the southern drawl, locking with the tall man standing before me. 

His hair fell in chocolate waves just past his ears, and his honey eyes shone with desire. If his tight-fitting jeans and boots weren't a dead giveaway that he was from the South, his slow drawl sure was. 

He was cute, just definitely not my type. 

Laughing nervously, I looked away. "Thank you," I mumbled. 

What the hell was I supposed to say to that? 

His eyes shone brighter. "Dear Lord, that laugh too. Sweeter than honey." 

Oh god. Could he be any more cliché? 

Before I could respond, a solid arm wrapped itself around my waist, fingers brushing against my hip. "Everything alright here?" said a gruff voice from behind my ear. 

Hunter. 

Relief flooded me, as I had begun to grow uncomfortable from the man's remarks. Something else sparked inside me as well at the feel of his arm around me like a brand, and the way his woodsy scent overtook me.  

Something I was trying very hard to ignore. 

The man's eyebrows lifted as he noted Hunter's hand positioning, but the bastard still didn't back down. 

"Everything's peachy," he drawled with a loose grin, gaze trailing down my body. "Was just appreciatin' this fine lady." 

The way he looked at me caused my stomach to churn, not at all resembling how I felt when Hunter's eyes were on me. 

Hunter's arm tightened around my waist, pulling me closer against him. "Why don't you go ahead and "appreciate" someone else," he bit out slowly. 

I glanced over my shoulder to look at him, shocked by the irritation painted on his face. It usually took quite a deal to make Hunter lose his cool. 

I had never seen him so...jealous. Not even when I had been on that date with Matt. 

It was doing very funny things to me. Things I couldn't explain.