Run Like Hell

It took me a solid hour to get out of bed in the morning.

I hadn't gotten a lick of sleep all night, thanks to my eventful evening, and the sight of the sun rising just made me want to crawl under my covers and never come out.

If I stayed under the covers, I wouldn't have to tell Kat about how awful my date went.

If I stayed under the covers, I could avoid the very awkward interaction I was going to have with Matt this afternoon at work.

If I stayed under the covers, I just might be able to pretend that I hadn't dry-humped Hunter Michaelson on my kitchen island last night.

Shit. That alone was reason enough.

Covering my face with my hands and letting out an anguished groan, I forced myself to get up and stop the pity party.

I could do this.

The idea of a steaming cup of coffee certainly added to my motivation.

Splashing some cold water on my face in a futile attempt to wake up, I made the hasty decision to dial up Kat.

She had been bombarding me with questions about the date all night, and it was pretty clear that sooner or later, I was going to have to face the music. Might as well get it over with now.

It barely took five seconds for her to pick up.

"Omg, about time you called. Tell me everything!"

The excitement in her voice made me feel ashamed. Of course, she would expect that my date went well, it was Kat for god's sake. When it came to relationships, everything was picture-perfect on her end.

"I don't think you wanna hear everything..." I spoke hesitantly.

"Shit, babe, I know that tone. It didn't go well?"

Embarrassment swamped me. I felt like a child that couldn't do anything right.

"Something like that."

"Well, what happened. Was Matt an asshole or something? Preppy boys usually are..." she trailed off.

I bit back my laugh. Matt was definitely not the asshole in last night's horror show. Deciding to spare her the details about Hunter intervening, since it would take hours to explain, I kept the explanation short.

"No, not at all. He was honestly such a gentleman. It's just that...there was nothing there. You know? Like, no spark, no fireworks, none of it."

Kat paused on the other end. "I get it, but you can't just quit there, Layla. It takes a while to feel a spark, it's not just gonna happen right away."

Little did she know. I felt quite a spark last night in someone else's arms.

Playing along, I agreed to appease her. "Yeah, I understand. Maybe I'll give it another shot."

"Good. Anyways, don't get too down about it, because I have some pretty damn good news."

I sighed in relief. "I could use some of that. What's up?"

Kat let out a little squeal of excitement. "Liam's throwing a party tomorrow night! A huge one."

That was some damn good news.

Liam's parties were insane. Thanks to his massive house and generous supply of alcohol, courtesy of his rich as shit parents, any party he threw was legendary.

My enthusiasm was short-lived, however, once I realized the current situation I was in. There was no way in hell Hunter would be comfortable with me going to that big of a party, what with me supposed to be laying low and all that.