The Hunter and The Angel

I knocked back my third glass of scotch, the bitter-tasting liquid seeming to have become my drink of choice during times of distress. 

I had spent the past half-hour perching at the open bar, and although I was slightly tipsy, it wasn't nearly enough to dull the ache behind my eyes that throbbed whenever I saw my father and Carly. 

That would take several bottles. 

Hunter sat beside me, nursing a club soda - ever the responsible and supportive boyfriend. His hand rested soothingly on my thigh, occasionally sweeping his thumb across my skin as a gentle reminder that he was here with me. 

I'm sure he was ready for me to crack after what had just gone down, possibly have a meltdown, but, surprisingly, I wasn't feeling too sad. 

It could've been the alcohol, but I found myself feeling more exhausted than anything. Tired of putting up with my father's antics, tired of dealing with Carly, and tired of sacrificing my peace of mind to please them. 

Hell, they weren't thinking of my peace of mind when they went ahead and had an affair. 

I was just tired of caring, and yet, having to watch my father and Carly together revealed to me just how much I cared. Just how much they had hurt me. 

The jazz band stalled their music, grabbing the crowd's attention as they made an announcement that the new couple would be having their first dance.

I watched as Carly and my father waltzed over to the center of the vineyard, the two of them gazing at each other dotingly as my father encircled her in his arms. 

They swayed softly to the dreamy music that had begun to play, and the bitter burn of scotch in my throat turned dry as I listened to the crowd whistle and cheer in joy for the newlyweds. 

What were they congratulating? Adultery? Betrayal? 

It made me sick to hear their ignorant celebration, and I suddenly felt stupid for letting myself get convinced into coming to this damn wedding in the first place. 

What did I think was going to happen? That I would feel relief, or even content, at seeing the two of them together? 

As I followed my father's movements, noticing the way he tenderly tucked a strand of Carly's hair behind her ear, I forced back the burn of tears threatening to escape. 

I guess I just thought it wouldn't have stung this bad. 

Exhaling a rough breath, I turned away from the happy couple and motioned to the bartender for another drink.

I didn't want to feel anything tonight. 

Before I could grab his attention, though, Hunter's inked hand grasped my wrist, forcing my arm down and out of the bartender's sight. 

"I think you've had enough, love," he murmured softly, his eyes conveying more concern than the smooth tone that slid from his lips. 

I arched an eyebrow at him. "Oh, I'm just getting started." 

I was going to need at least two more drinks before I could face my father and Carly again. 

Ignoring Hunter's warning glare, I moved to raise my hand once more and grab the bartender's attention. 

In an instant, two firm hands grasped my waist and spun me around, drawing me away from the bar before setting me down several feet away. 

"What the fuck, Hunter?" I snapped, sending him an annoyed scowl as he planted himself between me and the bar, acting as a barrier.